Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
VidMe closed, Vimeo follow soon
  • Vidme came a long way as an independent platform, but we couldn’t find a path to sustainability.

After careful consideration, the Vidme team has arrived at the difficult decision to suspend the Vidme site and apps effective December 15th at noon PT.

• New sign-ups and uploads will be disabled effective today.
    • Existing videos will be playable and exportable from your video manager until December 15th at noon PT, at which point they will be permanently deleted from the Vidme servers.
    • All paid channel subscripitions will be suspended immediately, and subscriber-only videos will be exclusively accessible by their video owners.
    • Any outstanding earnings will be paid out upon verification within 60 days.
    • All Vidme paid subscriptions will cease as of today, and subscribers will no longer be billed.

https://medium.com/vidme/goodbye-for-now-120b40becafa

Vimeo also has lot of problems and constantly falling views and participation rates, I expect that in 2018 we will see major reorganization or even sudden closure.

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • i wonder what a net neutrality repeal will do to the third party video streaming industry

• Vimeo raised their rates 40% for Plus from $5 to $7/month and something similar for the Pro Memberships this year. They are trying to become profitable. I thought they already were! I looked around for a video hosting service with the same specs and couldn't find one with the embed restrictions and password protection for client's videos, near the "new" Vimeo prices, so I have stuck with them, even though they would not cut me any slack on the 40% price increase as a member since 2009.

Ha, I just found a 25% off coupon for Vimeo at https://dealhack.com/coupons/vimeo and Vimeo has reduced their annual price to $6/month instead of $7. So with the coupon a 1 year subscription cost less than before they raised prices. Go figure!