Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Using the analog video out
  • First, I'm new and happy to join the forum. Thanks for your great work ! I've decided to buy this GH2 because of your work and because of the possibilities you are permitting (Panasonic should really give you a little part of the money they are earning, so in compensation I've made a donnation to support the project, this is pure logic ;) Keep on going !!)

I wonder if the future ptool option could allow to have the analog video out, while shooting videos. Like many others, I'm using the GH2 for aerial footage (under a multicopter), and it would be a very good option. This is true with an EOS 5D (probably 7D), but unfortunatly not with GH2, so we need to use additional camera to send a live image to the ground station for framing, and this is weight for nothing...

Thanks to give your feeling with this idea !
  • 19 Replies sorted by
  • @la_turbine You can find this has been discussed in several other threads, use the search on this forum or google's site search. For your multicopter you need to carry an HDMI->analog converter on board if you want live view from the camera.
  • We certainly have topic or discussion about it.
  • @onlocatoin Yes I've seen those threads before posting. The converter is not so simple. The future version of ptool give me some hopes :D If Vitaliy thinks it could be possible, I will be very happy to help for the time spent on this. Perhaps other people should be interested with the idea and could contribute for this. Let's see !
  • There are wireless HDMI transmitters and receivers available and they ain't too expensive and heavy.
  • Just buy a HDMI to analog converter. Strip the box and conectors and solder the analog and power directly to the board. It will be low weight and u can use any new camera that is out there and have no more wories.
    When u do that u will see that hdmi out output is 1080i only and while u have livewiev on u can shoot in 720p (only option is 1080i and 1080p cinema). Did not check if they fixed this in new 1.1 update.
    And if u have problems getting liveview on to record, just format the card, turn off and on camera and it should help with the problem.
  • @Athiril: I would like u to link us some cause i invested a gazilion hours in this and the first that is semi good is like 7000 USD. All the rest have 50m range and like 5 sec delay so plx enlighten us with the cheap version of hdmi link.
  • http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270852964961&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:AU:1123#ht_8625wt_1185

It's for TV's, one section says 30m through walls, so more with direct line of sight, other says 20m open field image transmission, you would have to test it, but the kicker is the 1ms latency. This shouldn't be too much weight for a 400 or 500 series electric helicopter with a GH2, and in any case, you don't get very long flying times, so you cant go too far anyway.

Now of course if the range isn't enough you can open it open and find the tiny antennae soldered onto the board and replace that one with a multiple of the wavelength being used on both devices for better signal. You will get significantly better performance with that.

It's 5V / 2.5A DC, not too much of a problem to deal with again with 400, 450 or 500 series heli, can rig up 4x 1.2v AA rechargeables, they will last longer than the battery powering the heli flight.

I'm sure I can make that work brilliantly, of course one still needs to take that $200 leap of faith.

Just looking an analog setup looks like it'd cost sub $100 though, and in my case I'd only need the video for navigation purposes. And at 2.4GHz wavelength.. antennae modifications are tried and true.
  • Check this picture here. This is the HDMI-> Analog converter box we built. It is not as heavy as it looks!
    392074_517774454523_84200326_30471032_679338643_n.jpg
    960 x 717 - 124K
  • I use cheap Ebay HDMI - composite converter on my Okto with GH2 and it works good.
    Just trashed original metal box and placed board in plastic box to save some weight.
  • @gizmo

Do you have a model or link to ebay seller?
    I think many guys who read this topic will be interested.
  • @Tobsen

Where did you get the nifty copter and was it expensive?
  • Please help how to use HDMI to Analog converter since it won't work to show video on my tv while recording ?But it will show the video when i play back...
    Thanks
  • Thanks all for answers ! I will test one of those cheap hdmi converter. Since the camera is outputting analog video while framing but not when recording it puts me in rage because everything is here, just a F*#&57G stupid limit of the GH2 enginers... Perhaps is there a good reason. It could be easy to swap the function perhaps? The output via the LCD screen is still working when shooting, no?

• @la_turbine it's been talked about a lot before, but for whatever reasons it doesn't seem like it will happen anytime soon (analog out while recording that is).

What I am confused about now is the actual modes the GH2 is recording in while using HDMI output for video monitor. Does anyone have a clear idea if the hack effects this or if v1.1 firmware is any different (it appears to be in my testing so far)??

• @gizmo: great price for the converter!

• Too bad there is no analog video out while recording. Whish I could use my SD-Viewfinder on the GH2. it´s from the world´s first HD-camera ever, the HDC-500, built in1985. Even though the camera was HD with 1125 lines in 5:3 aspect ratio, the signal fed to the viewfinder was SD. I did modify the viewfinder to fit on a hotshoe for use with my XH-A1 added LED´s to illuminate the camera when working in dark places (like recording concerts) and even gave it a heated eyepiece... which is great for this winter´s temperatures... Oh, and I almost forgot my steadycam, which also needs sd-video-out

I read some ratings on amazon about the HDMI converter mentioned above. As far as I understand, the hdmi converter´composite video is not sharp. Could anyone confirm this?

• I just received a hdmi cable to RCA composite. It doesn't output any signal from the GH2. I was hoping two use two 7" LCD monitors I used for SD video. Maybe the cable is defected or the mini hdmi doesn't work with cable/box converters. I even used a powered hdmi switcher to help. No!