Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Magic Lantern HDR video

• Just saw this video on reddit. interesting, no?

• 47 Replies sorted by
  • Cool - I'm guessing it's done in-camera? That's a cool feature.
  • Very interesting times ahead.
    Maybe its time to join forces with the ML group, think of the majic
  • It is very hard to tell that this is in reality.
    My understanding is that this is similar to my idea recently published on blog.
    They get 720p60, and change ISO for each frame, or just processing.
    It could be not easy to edit this stuff.
  • They managed to override the cameras native frame rates and got control of the shutterspeed even allowing a 360 degree shutter, it's a manipulation of that.

They were looking for testers a few days ago.
    http://vimeo.com/groups/magiclantern/forumthread:250151

They say it will work in 24p at 1080. Basically recording 48 frames for 24p with every other frame under exposed i guess. Supposed to work for every recording mode even 60p. I guess it's worth it to wait and see how well it actually works in practice.
  • It's too bad it isn't supported on the 5D from what I can tell.
  • Or it might be 24 frames with 12 underexposed. Then streams are separated in post and the missing fields interpolated. Whichever it says they have a script to automate the process so you end up with your normal footage and your under exposed clips separated.
  • No they mention the framerate hack, has to be 48 frames.
  • Well, the fact that they got control of the Shutter Speeds is mighty impressive...
  • Woho this is some amazing stuff here!

Way cool. I think the only issue would be not to record fast motion with or go handheld with a high shutter speed or you will see wired motion artifacts. You can see it a little with lady at the terminal in the beging if you look close at the pen moving across the screen. But whatever......

HDR video on a DSLR is huge news! I could totally use that.
  • Isn't this the way that HDRX works with RED?
  • This seems like a very technologically doable feature. No special processor chips etc. Very helpful because it both increases dynamic range. A problem with GH-2 and all HDSLRS, and very well may be a workaround the 8 bit video. Combining two video streams, even with just a 1 stop exposure difference, could be rendered into a higher bit depth working file for grading. Could eliminate banding.

They once shouted of the death of HDSLRs for video, as AF100, Scarlet, various Sony camcorders came out. But with these new feature discoveries, Our little cameras have extended usefulness.

I bet an even closer difference in exposure could be useful in noise canceling in the image. Even if it is not possible on a GH-2. I hope our favorite Panasonic Engineers start to feel competitive with Canon's feature in time for the GH-3. Very cool!@
  • I watched a video, I think posted here at P-V, regarding Red HDRX example of post process, it required one of the two layers to have post motion blur applied (twixtor?) to make the luma blend sit better. It is worth the effort for selective shots, making almost impossible shots possible. Interesting space evolving.
  • this is hdrx for a bargain price. this is huge, if its editable! No DR Problems anymore? DSLRs final problem solved, using vitaliys idea! I reeeally hope this is doable on GH2, in theory. I won't use a 550D. :)

Problem is: cant work on fast motion. there are never 2 of the same frame.
  • This is truely amazing. This makes the 550D a keeper, really. Amazing!

@fatpig
    "Problem is: cant work on fast motion. there are never 2 of the same frame." This is true, but if you first take a short frame, then directly the long one, and you add virtual motion blur to the first they should blend pretty nice.
    Guess some intelligent blending algo can make up for this on long term.
  • Don't mess with the users. Where there's a will, there's a way. Great stuff!
  • I downloaded that sample and will say there are some big issues with fast movement.

Who cares its free and I can get a 550D used for around $350. Its not perfect but for some shots it will be a lifesaver.
    hdr video example 1.jpg
    561 x 732 - 102K
    hdr video example2.jpg
    554 x 709 - 95K
  • wow, sounds great!
    (not to mention other features of the ML...)
  • Switching to a low ISO every other frame? Genius!
    Is this something that would be possible to hack on a GH2?

Even if you only had 24 fps (12 x 2), it would be possible to generate in-between frames in post, and have two 24p clips with different exposures.
    Totally worth it even if you lose some temporal detail, in my opinion.
  • i downloaded the clip.
    and did play with it in sony vegas.
    but sorry, i cant find any advantage over what i already can do in post editing.

i hope i do something very wrong....
  • It is coming to the 5D Mark II as well. I have just tried it out (private beta). It isn't done in-camera you have to blend frames in post. It does indeed do the same low ISO / high ISO alternative frame recording on the 5D Mark II... very cool feature.

Won't shoot without M/L now. Here is a sneak peak at the unified ML running on my 5D Mark II...

http://www.eoshd.com/content/6640/eoshd-tests-the-new-magic-lantern-unified-on-5d-mark-ii
  • Exactly how the blend is implemented, I think, should make a massive difference when it comes to time differences and end result. Now, it would make sense to use some of the color information, but not all - even with motion estimation, which in itself is arduous - there will be a leap in missing movement information. So basically you are shooting in the blind for a particular scene.

I'm guessing that a "base" frame of sufficient low level information and an "extended" frame of some 50 levels of highlights would yield pretty reliable results, coupled with curves that mix the frames well. It could be done vice versa as well, depending on which end of the spectrum one prefers for moving objects.
  • So happy about the 5D news. Poor 7D users getting crapped on once again.
  • @oedipax
    It's ok, I didn't want hdr video anyway...
    *sniff sniff*
  • The Nikon D5100 has an in-camera 2-frame HDR feature that works much like this for JPEG still photos only. I tried it out and it did make a noticeable difference in highlight and shadow detail. However, it really needs the camera mounted on a tripod with the mirror up to avoid image blur, I couldn't get usable results out of it handheld. That's at 16Mpix resolution, though, at 1080p it might be fine.
  • If this guys make different processing for same RAW frame, rather than different frames, it'll be much better.