Personal View site logo
Cinema gear deals, direct from factories - Gear deals and Gear deals section. Also check Cameras, lenses, software, gear deals.
You support is vital for us. To keep this place ad free and independent, select one of the options below.
Donations are going to community support costs, hosting, etc. Your support allows to improve and expand this site.
Audition Raw data import - randomly saturating chunks of audio?
  • Hello, guys. So, the dreadful 0 bytes file thing happened to me. My Tascam lost power during the recording. I left the SD card untouched and made an image copy of the drive so I could import it in Audition (and Audacity) as raw data in order to find the corrupted take.

    My input settings were 48khz, 24 bit PCM, Stereo (just as recorded) and Little Endian. I have tried values 0, 1 and 2 (even 3) in the "start byte offset" space.

    What I get is an almost 4-hour long audio file with 85% ultra-saturated sound at 0db (or almost) and the other 15% are chunks of good audio with normal levels. Where levels are just a little below 0db I can tell those are takes that I recorded just fine--Apart from this one take I'm trying to recover, I can play all other takes on my computer as wav files and they all have normal levels.

    When I change the value to 0, 1 or 2 the chunks that sound good are all different, but still, together they comprise about 15% of the entire file. When I changed the value to 3 I got a split second file.

    Anyone know a solution? Thanks in advance.

    PS: I have also tried the chkdsk solution to recover the 0 bytes file, but the .chk files are not showing up on my drive event though the "show hidden files" option is checked.

  • 3 Replies sorted by
  • I wouldn't use Audition for this (or anything else...) Assuming you have a bit perfect copy of the original card (???), you can then try some recovery on the copy before trying it on the original card. I would try Samplitude first, and you could also try the Easeus. There's probably some better programs that just work with audio files.
    You can also take a new card, keep the settings exactly the same, then record a bit, then transplant the header onto the file fragments, again, working with just the copy, not the original. If nothing works, you may then have to choose whether you work on the original card or maybe enlist the aid of a data recovery specialist.
    Sometimes, the data is a goner but you never know.....

  • I think best idea is to use specialized software for recover.

  • Thanks very much to @DrDave and the legendary @Vitaliy_Kiselev for your kind tips. I've already tried Remo Recover which has worked wonders for me in the past but this time it wouldn't identify the bytes of my last audio take as an audio file. I will try Samplitude and look for something specialized in audio files as you suggest.

    PS: I would like to personally thank Mr. Vitaliy Kiselev for the amazing ptool that has helped me shoot better footage with my GH2.