Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Moving with GH2 to USA
  • I am moving to USA with my GH2 and AF101, both of which were bought in Europe. I guess this means I should get used to shooting at 30 FPS. My question: can I use the standard firmware of a PAL model in the USA without hacking, or do I need to hack to get best results? What other changes should I make when shooting in artificial light in the US?
  • 8 Replies sorted by
  • You will need to apply the patched firmware to be able to switch to NTSC mode.
    Then you can record 30 FPS with sound. Please make sure to spend some hours
    reading trough the forum, its all explained in here. If you use moderate settings
    like 66mbit the cam will remain perfectly stable but offer better quality.
  • Hey, don't forget about 24p :)
  • Hi,
    I'm french and moved to NY as well.
    1. Your AF101 is switchable in frequency. Look into the menu and find the option (I know in my HPX170 it was something about changing 60hz)
    2. Your Gh2 needs to be hacked and switched to US. For now only V1.0 is hacked.

You still need to know which frame rate your client is asking for.
    Also remember about 24p which is the same standard in both countries.
  • Wouldn't it be easier to sell GH2 in Europe and buy a new one in the States?
  • Thanks everyone. Looks like hacking is the best option for me. I've already hacked my GH2, but recently took the official upgrade.

cheers!
  • Why do u need to change to ntsc if u moove to USA. Both formats now are usable in both continents. Before u shoot ask what format do they need. Othervise they can convert it. NTSC
  • "Othervise they can convert it." Ever tried to fit 30 dogs into 25 houses? Or even worse: 25 dogs into 30 houses??? I tell you, these poor creatures suffer quite a bit. You really need to sqeeze them for 30->25, lets don´t talk about the 25->30.

Always shoot the native FPS you need, avoid framerate conversion at any cost.
    Results are blended frames, stutter or interpolation artefacts.
  • Welcome to the USA and good luck!