Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Hacked GH2 card not importable in FCP X
  • Yesterday I hacked my gh2, today I shooted an entire 16GB car and few GB of a second card, if I manually open the single files in both cards they works without problems. When I try to import them in Final Cut Pro X directly from the card, it gives me an error on the first one, the full card. It says: " "PRIVATE" contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media. No problem with the second card.

I tried to restore the card directories with "ACVCAM Restorer", but it also gives an error message "Error, Sorry. It is not possible to restore it because of the data recorded with the product not supported.

Attached file is my hacked firmware.

Files works fine in Adobe Premiere but Final Cut Pro X want the entire folder structure as in the card, that is why I import directly from the SD or I copy the entire card in my hard disk and not just the video files.
  • 13 Replies sorted by
  • ooops the file is too big to be attached..
  • Anyone in specific related to my problem please ?
  • @robbie75vr
    You can read and check yourself :-)
    Just do not make new topics. :-)
  • I can always ask favours, you can always say no. I've done the topic already, if you want to remove this one no problem.. thanks anyway for your help
  • ok I checked myself all 24 threads, no one has solution to this specific problems, so please if anyone has some ideas...

Thanks
  • If you can't import the MTS files off your SD card in FCPX, get ClipWrap and rewrap your MTS files to MP4 which FCPX can easily import. ClipWrap can transcode MTS to ProRes but I prefer to let FCPX handle that when the need arises. Just choose the "rewrap" option and you'll be fine.
  • I am more trying to understand why a card is ok and the other card is not ok, well if there are no other options I'll convert them but it should work so for now I'm trying to troubleshoot instead of searching alternative solutions, thanks anyway for the suggestion
  • If you're not a real pro in a rush all the time then pretend you're one and terminate with extreme prejudice any tool that fucks up your workflow. If an SD card can't be imported, reformat it and try again. If it still can't, toss it, don't think twice, it's all right. SD cards are cheap, get another one, keep moving forward like a shark or die. You're already behind schedule just for reading this. Hurry up!
  • It's sunday late night here so no rush eheh, anyway I think the reason is because I delete one .mts with the Mac browsing the sd card yesterday, and used the card today without formatting it. I think (once not twice) that's 99% the reason. So tomorrow morning I'll try it again. Thanks Bob, ehm I mean Shaveblog..

• mmm. no, I just tried to delete it again and it works... mmm bloody hell I hate when I don't understand why these things happen.

The problematic sd card had some clip with original firmware and some others with hacked firmware, maybe is that ?
  • One golden rule: ALWAYS lock your card prior to put it in your mac. Erasing or tempering with the file structure happens so fast.

My workflow:
    1 - place unlock card in camera (duh) and FORMAT it. (not erase, format completely!)
    2 - shoot (duh)
    3 - the second you take it out, LOCK IT!
    4 - transfer to your computer while card is still locked
    5 - check your footage is working, make a backup on a separate drive (nor a raid, make an actual different drive and manually drag-drop to avoid identical write issues.
    6 - check again your footage on your second drive.
    7 - UNLOCK your card and store it.

Like that you can make the difference between your full cards and empty cards (full are locked and empty are unlocked)

This is the safest way to work.
    Also don't forget to test your HDDs for damaged clusters from time to time.

Other tip is to always have a backup card for if your card is full (duh) or if your card fails.
  • yes that's a good idea thanks but here I think I messed up the card before using it and then I forgot to format it.