Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
US: Opioids issue
  • Opium production in Afghanistan doubled compared to 2016.

Same time deaths toll in US due to opium poisoning set new records.

• 20 Replies sorted by
  • source for afghanistan since 2016 ?

• @kurth

Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction report.

Compared to the previous year, the total area under poppy cultivation in 2016 increased 10% from 183,000 to 201,000 hectares. Opium production was estimated at 4,800 tons––a 43% increase from its 2015 level. In fact, the improvement of Afghanistan’s poppy yields was largely responsible for the worldwide opium production increase between 2015 and 2016. Global opium production increased by one-third to 6,380 tons compared to the previous year.757 The value of opiates produced in Afghanistan is more than two-thirds the value of the country’s entire agricultural sector. The value of the illicit opiate economy was estimated at $3.02 billion in 2016, up from $1.56 billion in 2015

I used article, not source, hence proper is to talk about value doubling and in 2016 compared to 2015.

• That's not what u said . Nothing there states opium production doubled since 2016....to 2017...or as you're trying to infer, since trump took office. The quote, from your as yet to be linked source, does infer that obama's cia did a good job protecting and smuggling the crop when he was in office, as they've all done since 2001. According to bbc , the first year after the invasion, opium production rose 1000%. But the title of your thread is misleading as well as the content of your analogy ....that americans are overdosing because trump made it so. I'd be thrilled to read a link stating what you were attempting to infer, however...whenever.

• and the reality is more than half , and growing statistically, of opioid overdoses in the US are from prescription drugs, not heroin from afghanistan...or mexico... which is the real problem....all over the world !

• @kurth

Calm down. Read what I wrote. I used local article that stated same thing. As I looked at report PDF and provided quote I made comment how properly it must be. Removed twitter king from titles, I am sure he'll do something stupid soon enough to make topic.

I'll look into opioids overdoses in US and also add link here.

• no ones un-calm....your statement was incorrect....simple enough https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/data/overdose.html

• @kurth

Thanks.

As I said, I'll also look at drugs part and provide source.

• "I am sure he'll do something stupid soon enough to make topic.." well said Vitaliy, you know what kind of person drumpf is...and don't try to explain things to trumptards , they see drumpf like a Messiah who will save them from hell...it is so easy to find drumpf lies they are all over the internet IN VIDEO, he can not deny he said that , but this people cannot see the truth, the conman drumpf owns them , they live in an alternative reality :fox news , breitbart, alex jones etc

• According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the most recent data estimates that 142 Americans die every day from a drug overdose. Our citizens are dying. We must act boldly to stop it. The opioid epidemic we are facing is unparalleled. The average American would likely be shocked to know that drug overdoses now kill more people than gun homicides and car crashes combined. In fact, between 1999 and 2015, more than 560,000 people in this country died due to drug overdoses – this is a death toll larger than the entire population of Atlanta. As we have all seen, opioids are a prime contributor to our addiction and overdose crisis. In 2015, nearly two-thirds of drug overdoses were linked to opioids like Percocet, OxyContin, heroin, and fentanyl.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/whitehouse.gov/files/ondcp/commission-interim-report.pdf

• And three of these are from Pharma industry, right?

• @tigerbengal2009 I didn't see any Trump praising going on in @kurth posts. He was simply stating facts. Please stop perpetuating the (something)-tard terminology. It is overused on both sides and really annoying. Not everyone who voted for Trump sees him as the Messiah, MANY people voted for him simply because the Clintons are part of a cabal which should no longer be tolerated, Gary Johnson somehow managed to make himself look even more ridiculous than Trump, and Jill Stein is an unknown and didn't appeal to the majority of Americans. The DNC rigged the game, and it backfired.

Back on topic, if the pharma industry would pull their heads out of their asses/wallets and focus on true progress, we wouldn't have nearly the opiate issues that we currently have in the USA. Instead of prescribing terribly addictive and damaging opiate painkillers like they are candy, they should be looking into something like... oh I dont know... a natural herb used for millennia... something like like cannabis and its many forms for its proven effects on pain and a plethora of other conditions.

• @tigerbengal2009 ....confused about the topic ....again ? No trump supporter here but ....if americans really want to criticize trump, then they've got to investigate real criminal behavior , not just indulge in their immature foodfight mentality. Of course , the risk of that, as we're witnessing , is it'll most likely be Hillary and her criminal DNC minions who'll go to jail instead. And back to topic, if @Vitaliy really wanted to see where afghan heroin was going, he'd be better guided by looking into nato, turkey and isis smuggling it into eastern europe. And it's a fact, most heroin coming into the usa these days comes from mexico. And , as cdc states, half of all overdoses in the usa are prescription drugs, according to the link I previously posted. So both themes of Vitaliy's thread , which has now been revised not to include trumps actions as cause and effect, are still unproven. He's shown nothing that states afghan opium production has doubled since 2016 ( I find no numbers for a 2017 increase although I wouldn't be surprised ) and even less that somehow this hypothesis is linked to the recent headlines that there's an increase in opioid overdose deaths in the US, which would be unlikely considering the two facts ...that half of all overdoses are from prescription drugs and that mexico is the usa's main source for heroin. http://www.emcdda.europa.eu/publications/eu-drug-markets/2016/online/heroin/production

• @tigerbengal2009

Just forget that Trump exist. You'll save lot of your time.

• @kurth

I will repeat for third time. I made topic based on local stuff, as I can't check all sources.
    And I here provided two sources what show - it is two issues that are hardly related, same as you wrote.

sa283.jpg
    532 x 574 - 62K

sa1192.jpg
    800 x 512 - 62K
  • In metropolitan areas (meaning areas around a city with a population of over 1 million), the number of overdoses grew by 54 percent in one year.

In the Midwest, overdoses increased 109 percent in Wisconsin, 66 percent in Illinois, and 35 percent in Indiana.

Emergency room visits due to opioid overdose grew by 35 percent in 16 states over the past year, according to the emergency room data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

This is how degradation and death of capitalism looks like.

• @tigerbengal2009

but this people cannot see the truth, the conman drumpf owns them , they live in an alternative reality :fox news , breitbart, alex jones etc

No, you live in the alternate reality. The proof was Trump's election itself. If you had even occasionally read something like Breitbart (not saying to trust any source 100%) you would have seen the reality of a Trump election coming from a mile away... these right-leaning sources were the ones that predicted this all along. They were accurately pointing out bias in polling, they accurately accounted for Trumps true support-base, THEY were REALITY. Now, it was your good friends in Mainstream-Media (CNN, MSNBC, ect.) were the actual liars... they assured you that the nomination was not stolen from Bernie Sanders, they assured you that Hilary Clinton was a legitimate candidate, they assured you that Hilary would have a 98% chance of winning. You all laughed and celebrated election night at the foolish Trump-tards living in their delusional world. "It's not rigged, you're just losing!!!" Remember that? Remember people crying shortly after? Now THAT is what alternative reality looks like when it comes crashing down. But you can keep living in your own head if you like.

• In the circus of politics, Trump is merely the clown. It's the ringmaster one needs to be worried about.

• Ultra lol.

Good business for America, bad for society.