Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 at Work in Amateur Hands
  • Let's face it, the GH2 was built for amateurs. I am an amateur in every aspect of this art form, but I used it a lot this year in some interesting conditions and here is a short clip of some of the results.

It is best watched with earphones in and full screen. All underwater and a couple above water shots are from a GoPro (most notably the third image...looks like crap, but it was too fun a moment to exclude), but the rest are from the GH2 using various hacks. I knew going into this effort it would be more of a learning experience than anything else. I learned about lenses, filters, exposures, film modes, frame rates, etc, etc, all of which I knew none of prior to this year.

I would be surprised if there were many other GH2's in so many different environmental exposures over the last year and I'm happy it made it out in one piece. Any comments or criticisms to are appreciated.
  • 8 Replies sorted by
  • I jumped off the cliff just like you. Bought the camera then learned what the record button does. Congrats on the good work
  • thanks...and good way to phrase it :)
  • good thread to start. You tied your project together nicely. Personally I am novice at best, but this camera is the first camera where I have no excuses other than my own skill or lack there of, so I think I am back down to amateur and I feel a need to get good fast as I want to make some movies NOW! Perhaps editing is my biggest hurdle.
  • you know how to frame your shots, little amateur :)
  • @mee

Exactly.
    Me, I'm a beginner, but I was exposed to the GH1 way back when it was still 'expensive,' and I was 16 then, and I'm not much older now, but i know that it will take a lot of time to reach 'pro' levels, regardless of what camera I have. I never bought a GH1, but had I impatiently gone for a 7D, or a 5dmkII I would never have learned a tenth of what the GH2 has taught me and I would have gotten bored of it, exhausted the technical challenge of the camera and probably sold it, whereas the GH2 is constantly in flux, and always improving. I would never sell my GH2. I would give it away like an heirloom upon the advent of gh3 :p

@ambergris
    love it. the slow mo shot of the geese is stunning...
  • Was very watchable. And excellent way to learn it :) I finally just got mine too and I havn't had much to shoot yet
  • @tmcat
    thanks, that day with the geese ended up working very well with a vari-ND. The sky gray, but still bright so the grass was brilliant. again, in the hands of an amateur this was luck, but seeing how it worked adds an arrow to the quiver for the future.

bottom line is that only through shooting many, many hours in hugely varying conditions can you begin to learn how to take advantage of the camera and the surroundings.
  • awesome.. stumbled onto this thread and thought id share a short i just shot with the seAQuake hack.

Thanks again to everyone who works so hard to make this camera so amazing!