Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Copying Is Not Theft
  • 10 Replies sorted by
  • Go with the "privacy settings" and watch on Vimeo, I think it's part of the videos ethos.

vimeo.com/219292410

sample519.jpg
    800 x 435 - 44K
  • Just one correction to all video. Is it possible to get such thing away by using power? Nope. Issue if progress is while it can have temporary setbacks it is like stream of water and always finds a way forward, eliminating hardest of stones if necessary.

• The cartoon was a very fun way to illustrate the semantic difference between copying vs theft. Of course, if someone toils and expends his personal resources in the creation of something, copying this work diminishes this person's ability (and arguably his right) to sell his work and generate a positive return on his investment. That is, of course, the central premise of capitalism. If his work is perceived to be of intrinsic value, there will be demand for it and folks can buy it at a price the market will bear. If his work sucks, it won't sell or be copied for that matter! So, in a way, copying actually does steal the right to allow the free market to function.

• Of course, if someone toils and expends his personal resources in the creation of something, copying this work diminishes this person's ability (and arguably his right) to sell his work and generate a positive return on his investment.

But it is big catch here. In the days of early capitalism such thing had been quite close to words. But no more. Almost everything is actually product of big number of people, even if you think that it was done alone or by small team. Private property for means of production and market create distorted reality where profits and investment return become main goals, and ripping actual hard workers and inventors is everyday practice.

• Although I don't agree with piracy, I can understand why many software companies have decided to move towards a "software as service" model.

This will alse become even a larger issue when 3D printers are able to print everything we use. Then it really will be "you wouldn't duplicate an iPhone".

When this occurs then the next issue will be: "duplicated 3D printers". Currently as many 3D printers are open-source this isn't any issue we have seen.

• Although I don't agree with piracy, I can understand why many software companies have decided to move towards a "software as service" model.

You don't need to agree with anything. So called piracy is NORMAL behavior of any progressive people, and opposite behavior is ABNORMAL and possible only in capitalism.

This will alse become even a larger issue when 3D printers are able to print everything we use. Then it really will be "you wouldn't duplicate an iPhone".

3D printer as thing that will print things we use is extremely regressive though. 3D printer is extremely inefficient and time consuming thing that can be still used in many niches.

• But it is big catch here. In the days of early capitalism such thing had been quite close to words. But no more. Almost everything is actually product of big number of people, even if you think that it was done alone or by small team. Private property for means of production and market create distorted reality where profits and investment return become main goals, and ripping actual hard workers and inventors is everyday practice.

This can be true, Vitaliy. Valid point. Anything that moves toward monopolization threatens the free market because it tends to eliminate competition, the kind of competition that helps keep costs in check. That said, small businesses still comprise the vast majority of employment in the US and is truly the engine that runs the big machine. According to recent U.S. Census Bureau data, there were 5.73 million employer firms in the United States. Firms with fewer than 500 workers accounted for 99.7 percent of those businesses, and businesses with less than 20 workers made up 89.6 percent. I would argue that small businesses are the vitality of the market and this is where incentive to create and innovate really exists.

• Anything that moves toward monopolization threatens the free market because it tends to eliminate competition, the kind of competition that helps keep costs in check.

Actually point is opposite :-) It is law of capitalism that things move towards monopolies.

Eliminating competition is one of the core advantages of monopolies as most of the time even in capitalism competition play a role of friction.

According to recent U.S. Census Bureau data, there were 5.73 million employer firms in the United States. Firms with fewer than 500 workers accounted for 99.7 percent of those businesses, and businesses with less than 20 workers made up 89.6 percent. I would argue that small businesses are the vitality of the market and this is where incentive to create and innovate really exists.

You need count not by firms and percentages, but by total workers employed.

Also it is good to understand that now most of this small firms play the roles of small fish around big, do some servicing of accounts (c), eat some food accidently left by big guys.

• 3D printer as thing that will print things we use is extremely regressive though. 3D printer is extremely inefficient and time consuming thing that can be still used in many niches.

I'm sure they will get much faster, extremely high resolution, and be able to print many different materials eventually. Give it time, maybe 20 years or so.

• I'm sure they will get much faster, extremely high resolution, and be able to print many different materials eventually. Give it time, maybe 20 years or so.

Speed is mostly defined by physics of plastics. Considering different materials - it is big issue to mix most things, as such thing will break and fall apart.