Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Microsoft habits story
  • Suppose you have old Windows Home Server small server and make some daily backups to it.

And if something happens... this is where real fun begin.

If your system drive went to better world you need USB or CD restore solution.

So, you go to usual place that contained ISO image and you see this:

If there is a CD image file (RestoreCD.iso) in this folder, it is outdated.

To create a Home Computer Restore CD, download the ISO image file (RestoreCD.iso) from the Microsoft Web site at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=104683. Then you must write the file to a blank CD. You cannot use Windows Explorer to write the ISO image to the CD. Instead, you need a CD/DVD burner. Most CD/DVD burners include software that you can use to write the ISO image to a CD.

All here is amazing.

• Windows update that quietly removed ISO image, but did not placed new proper one. It was not accident, see below.
    • Suggestion not to use Explorer, as on most modern PC it is the tool you need.
    • And most funny of all, link leads to nowhere, page is removed.

Reminds of the The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy beginning.

Quite soon you realize that such thing existed and usually is called dual boot restore from Power Pack 3.
    Yet Microsoft methodically killed all pages were you could get it.

So, the only places to look for is .. well, torrents. You know, places were people share stuff without capitalists.

It is not all the fun. Next fun, besides actual question if you computer has more than 512MB of ram, is that if you have most popular Realtek network adapters restore software will tell you that it has necessary drivers, but most of the time it won't work :-) Hence you need to feed it 32bit Vista ones from Realtek site. To add cherry on top this software frequently won't restore proper MBR and such.

Btw, Microsoft made few Home Server versions and killed it completely quite a time ago.

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • Never trust Microsoft. If I needed to run Windows, I would also have a Linux or BSD partition with an NTFS driver, and do image backups from there.

• If I needed to run Windows, I would also have a Linux or BSD partition with an NTFS driver, and do image backups from there.

I won't go for this sex standing inside hammock. :-)