Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
2017 Variable ND discussion
  • Read through results for search "Variable ND" on this forum, and plenty of other Googling. New products and specific concerns prompt this thread.

Sensors seem to be a factor when considering variable ND, IRND, or stacking. For the purpose here I'm using a GH4 (GH5 will come soon) for video. Maybe that doesn't matter, maybe it does?

There's a fair amount of acknowledgment that variable NDs cause a loss of sharpness in telephoto lenses. I often use the 35-100 2.8 Panny at the long end and have observed as much using the Fotga variable ND. I'm looking for something better.

There appears to be a recent set of arrivals from China touting Schott glass that some find to be solid performers while others dismiss. This would be appealing if they are any good.

Pricing. I don't have an unlimited budget but am willing to spend money to solve problems (like sharpness and color cast). Spending 2x the money for 10% improvement is beyond what I'm willing to do, however.

Thanks to all who contribute here. I read a ton, comment little. I look forward to your thoughts and experiences on this topic.

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • Yes the slr magic ones are supposedly very good. There is a good thread on Bmcuser. Even the first version is pretty good already and I saw they clear stock atm so its discounted!