Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
newbie question - old lenses worth a try?
  • Hello, I hoped to get some feedback, apologies if my questions are on the beginner side. Just ordered a GH2 at one of the sales. I have some old Konica lenses - 50mm/f 1.7 and some others. I know these are quite common but I wondered if it would be worth trying them out on the GH2 and if so which adapter and where to get it, and are there any issues or shortcomings I should be aware in trying it. ie can I damage my sensor with some of the older lenses? I have seen different adapters from prices ranging 20-200, and wondered if it is necessary to get a certain kind of adapter that fits this lens, or is a cheaper adapter going to work just as well. Thanks for any info.
  • 5 Replies sorted by
  • You can certainly use the Konica lenses on the GH2 without any concern. I am not familiar with Konica lenses and assume that they are manual lenses (focus and aperture). Just check ebay - search "adapter Konica to m4/3". If they are automatic lenses, then I'm not sure if you can control focus or aperture using an adapter. Perhaps other members could advise?....

Do take the time to review the topics on this site - you will find a whole pile of very useful info on many things you will need to know.. Enjoy the camera.....
  • @herronhill

Just get cheap chinese adapter on ebay and try them.
  • +1 to Vitaliy's suggestion. I have the 40mm f1.8, and it is great! (a little dreamy full open, but stop it down a half stop, and it sharpens up just fine.) 100% worth a "cheap" chinese adaptor. I bought the cheapest adaptor I could find and it is built just fine for these very light weight little lenses.
  • In my opinion using old lenses is a great idea if you're a DP. The problem these days is everyone has the same camera and either uses Canon, Nikon, or Zeiss lenses. All these DSLR projects end up looking the same, and using old lenses can help distinguish yourself a little bit. I think it's best to have both on hand. Also, old lenses are usually cheap, so it isn't much of a gamble to try them out..
  • @herronhill

I have a collection of old lenses, got them deliberately after I sold the 5D. Old glass has strengths and weaknesses, as with everything else. It is razor sharp, so sharp u wonder if your sensor can resolve adequately the dynamic range. On the flip side, the breathing of MF lenses would give it away that you are using DSLR, plus some of them have either really long or short throws.

Generally, any vintage glass will be more than good enough.