Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
CamGear DSLR CAGE
  • Hi all,
    I need input on this 5D/7D/GH2 HDSLR Prototype Design Cage System.
    It offers adjustable hood lens with four flags which is not shown on this prototype.
    It has a unique shoulder mount with head rest which you can fill it with any kind of liquid (water) or sand to adjust the weight to balance the back and front of the gear. It is rainproof which means you can shoot when it's raining. Top handle and bottom handle.

This product has not been completely produced yet and I'm open to any ideas to make it more useful. I'm an Art Director/videographer and due to my past education, I had the chance to have extensive studies about Industrial design. About couple of years ago I've decided to go to Iran (homeland) to check the film industry and see if I could get anything done there but due to my activities in United states (L.A. Base) and making music videos and all, I was detained, questioned and banned from any activities and banned from exiting the country! Well that's life with all its bluffs and tricks. I have learnt not to panic and I have learnt to take and accept everything as it comes to me. So I had to go fishing after my 94 days in custody of Intelligence Service and court played for 2 years up to couple of months ago! The good news is I've got my passport back but still banned from any activities around Art Business! Cool I can open a Pizzaria!

For the past 2 years I was only into web and searching and searching for different kind of rigs and gears to compliment my DSLR camera I bought here. I was amazed how rational everyone is using these cameras and how thirsty the market is for +K resolution small size gear. My understanding from this market is that the key picture is always with Canon. It is true that once in a while there is a none well known company coming up with a surprise products that shifts up the industry standards, but it's always the big guys who run the business and run it better and NO I'm not a Canon paid internet junkey!
    I've started video with Canon L1-L2 Hi8 / XL1-S/XL2-S/Panasonic DVX100B (loved this one back then)/SonyEX1-EX3 with Redrock Full Cinema Bundle. My activities stopped there! I bought a 7D since it didn't look like a video camera and I could take it anywhere as a photo camera but instead do the actual guerilla shooting to make a documentary. While I was falling in love with my DSLR, my messed up brain started to spoil my 7D. I was aware of some cages, mostly bunch of clamps and pipes with a bicycle handle in Blue! Although they are user friendly when there is no other product to the job better. So after spending so much money on so many different rigs and gears I have decided to create a cage base on my own studio and field experiences and kept in mind that all cameramen love a gear with a resemblance of a military instrument. Am I so wrong about this?! Na...

This Cage gear is a fourth generation design from my first scratch. Everything is precise to outer body of DSLR cameras and it has four window panel to access keys and bottoms on your any kind DSLR cameras but my focus was on 5D-7D Body since they are standard and offers more support and upgrades by time and the resale value is far better than any other brands. The adjustable hood lens not only protects your length of your lens from straight sunshine or the rain and dust but it acts as a matte box with four flags. The hood is FF friendly means there is enough space to use your FF lens gear. The body is made from strong polyamide at the right grade. So it's kind of unbreakable unless you really do not know how to run your production right! The base plate and rod system is included and all made from anodized die cast aluminum with matte silky finish. The benefits of this product compare to rest besides the look of it is in these facts:

1. Rainproof
    2. Prevents from over heating when shoot under the straight sunshine
    3. Light and well balanced
    4. endless add ons all around the cage
    5. protects your camera from any damage at all points except if you put it in fire or sink in water.
    6. Interchangeable lens savvy
    7. forehead rest arm while using your visor and location change handle while moving your entire gear bundle.
    8. Universal V mount on the shoulder mount unit
    9. 1 year warranty for any electronic parts (E Models) and 6 months for clamps and body parts
    10. Minimum expose of your DSLR so your client wont think that his/her job is getting done by a photography camera! I had this experience once and I basically had to payback the deposit!
    11. Various common colored accessories used by other companies so you can easily match and adopt other rigs with the cage
    12. It comes in with grey compresses foam box and make it easy and safe to move and travel around.
    13. Reasonably priced with excellent buy back program!
    14. Crane friendly with minimal setup time
    15. Extra set of colored accessories for free
    16. Free forth flag for the matte box
    17. Can purchase separately and upgrade by time so makes it ideal even for beginners and film students.
    18. it comes in with on board umbrella to protect the shooter from rain besides the fact that the unit itself is rainproof so this makes it very ideal for guerilla shooting in rainy or sunny days.
    19. camelflagued option for wild life shooting

PLEASE CONTRIBUTE YOUR INPUTS AND YOUR NEEDS AND EXPECTATIONS FROM A DSLR CAMERA CAGE AND SHOULDER MOUNT UNIT SO I CAN UPGRADE THE OPTIONS AND DESIGN FOR THE FURTER UPCOMING PRODUCTS.

camcage.jpg
    1142 x 792 - 328K
    CAGE.jpg
    809 x 562 - 145K
  • 3 Replies sorted by
  • Interesting head-rest idea. The only thing I am afraid of with that is ergonomics for different sized people. How does one control focus and iris inside the integrated body mattebox-part? When you say detained do you mean you are detained from making art inside iran or inside the US? I hope you make your documentary and everything works out well for you. Keep your creative spirit alive and I hope to see you in Los Angeles some day.
  • Camouflage!!! Tight!!..Now I can truely be a video ninja!
  • Hi there,
    The head rest unit is detachable and is adjustable to go forward or backward so any thickness of the body and any distanced can be configured. for the focusing point you can add on any FF unit from either side to control the focus point just like any other gears and rigs. the back side of the cage is open meaning you have the monitor in the shade since the camera sits in front of the cage and there is a little space that makes the shade so there is no need for monitor hood. Front of the lens is going to be fitted at the beginning of the matte box so everything is within reach of hands. The two windows on each side that in this picture has a cover cap on it are the holes that you can reach all the bottoms and settings on your camera body. I have put some reflection on them in the picture and if you notice you see them on the side of the cage, 2 for each side.

I'm banned to do any activities around commercial and artistic projects and I was detained and in custody for 94 days (Jail Time!) and I actually had to make some governmental projects for them to get my passport back. I'm heading back to US soon but still have to finish my doc. and bring it with me to US for post production.

Thanks for your post and yes I hope to see in LA too! I missed my apple martini and oyster shots!

Cheers,