Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
HDMI 2.0b - let's all the flowers shine, another HDR "standard" added
  • Previously, HDMI Specification Version 2.0b (HDMI 2.0b) only supported HDR (High Dynamic Range) video transport in the SMPTE ST 2084 EOTF (as applied in the media profile commonly known as HDR10), by referencing the CTA861.3 specification. The Consumer Technology Association (CTA) has recently notified the HDMI Forum of the adoption of a new version of the CTA-861 Specification, CTA-861-G. This new version provides additional support for HDR Video transport by including (among others) an extension to the static metadata signaling to include the HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) EOTF. The HDMI Forum has assessed the applicability of the CTA-861-G Specification to HDMI 2.0b. The HDMI Forum has confirmed that the extension of the static metadata signaling to include HLG can be utilized under the existing HDMI 2.0b Specification. This means that HLG Video Transport functionality may be implemented on HDMI 2.0b compliant devices.

None of present TVs except some Panasonics support HLG and all require either firmware update or will be incompatible always.

Also note that most HDR movies will require upcoming HDMI 2.1 with support of dynamic HDR metadata, so all first wave of TVs can become incompatible.

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • Looks like I'll be waiting until 2020 for an OLED. Maybe they'll be $500 by then.

• Looks like I'll be waiting until 2020 for an OLED. Maybe they'll be $500 by then.

OLED is already pretty accessible if you wait for sales of LG TVs.

• Just figure it would be a real shame to buy a $3K 65" display and find out the input is gonna be obsolete for some flavor of HDR in a year. But I guess that's just the nature of Tech these days.

• If the LG 2016 OLEDs cant bei updated then I just burned 3000 Euro. But so I understand it right that Dolby Vision ist dynamic? The LGs Support Dolby Vision... Just read some ultra HD Blu-ray Reviews...The lack of dynamic HDR seems to be a big Problem. Damn it, why didn't I wait with buying a TV? Bought my last one sich years ago and the new one has to do for at least five...

• I thought that Dolby Vision already supports dynamic HDR metadata. I believe Dolby Vision sends the HDR metadata differently (as part of the video stream) so that it doesn't require an HDMI version update to work.

My understanding is that HDR10 is currently static metadata only and needs an update to support dynamic metadata. This is being standardized in SMPTE 2094-20 and will be added to HDMI 2.1: http://www.flatpanelshd.com/downloads/philips_hdr_white_paper.pdf

The problem is that the UHD Blu-Ray discs and players currently available only support HDR10. So for the time being Dolby Vision would be limited to streaming only. Although this may change next year.