Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Camera Sales: All is worse and worse
  • According to Japan-based BCN, DSLR camera sales volume and value in the Japan market in June 2016 shrank 35.4% and 39.3%, respectively, on year, Digitimes Research indicated. Canon and Nikon were the two largest DSLR camera vendors in June.

and

Canon Inc third quarter operating profit fell 48 percent, hurt by a strengthened yen following Britain’s vote to leave the European Union.

Operating profit for the three months ended Sept. 30 declined to 40 billion yen ($383.62 million) from 77.3 billion yen a year earlier. Five analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters estimated an average third quarter operating profit of 58.3 billion yen.

The world’s biggest maker of cameras and printers also lowered its operating profit forecast for the year through December to 235 billion yen from a 265 billion yen estimate in July. ($1 = 104.2700 yen) (Reporting by Tim Kelly; Editing by Muralikumar Anantharaman)

Shit happens.

• 29 Replies sorted by
  • The smartphones have definately had an impact on photography. The cameras and flashes on the phones are getting better and better and on top of that they are implementing software that creates fake bokeh, shoots 4K video etc. The best thing about smartphones though is that you always have it on you and it is not cumbersome to carry around like a DSLR.

I was hired to shoot an event about 2 months ago. I had 2=D750 bodies and wireless strobes set up throughout the venue. It didn't matter that I had professional gear setup for this event. People wanted to capture their own images of the event with their own smartphones to capture that particular moment. This is despite the fact that most of the images coming out of those smartphones will be blurry or underexposed etc due to the lighting.

I guess my point is it really depends on the venue but for the most part people are ok with just capturing the moment on their smartphones even if it is not the best quality. The other fact that I would like to point out is that the cameras are really really good these days and that it is not necessary to buy the latest and greatest every time a new camera comes out.

Case in point I have a Nikon D600 from 2012 that I use to take pictures at the beach. The images that I get with my D600 are just as good as the D750. The only difference is the D600 sucks with lowlight focus/video quality other then that same image quality.

When I say sucks in video quality I mean in comparison to the GH2 GH4 D750 etc. The video quality is ok but there is noticeable aliasing and moire etc.

• @Azo

Do you want to tell me that if on same venue each of guys who made this smartphone photos could borrow for free very good full frame camera with F2.8 zoom lens and very good, simple auto mode they won't use it instead? And even after they did it already hundred times before?

My question is aimed to show that you put your thought in a cage actually, as most people did.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

"My question is aimed to show that you put your thought in a cage actually, as most people did."

Please enlighten me and elaborate further on this thought.

• The other thing that comes to mind is the impact that Sony, Panasonic, Olympus and Fuji mirrorless cameras are having on both Canon and Nikon DSLR sales. I am not sure if the quote above is specifically for DSLRs or if this includes mirrorless. Either way I am sure that the mirrorless cameras are having an impact as well. So the DSLRs are getting hammered every which way IMO.

• Some fairly recent photos from my D600 at the beach of course... Also a couple of shots from my studio high key and low key...Why do I need a new camera again???? Oh thats right 42 megapixels!!! ;-) LOL

HMC 10-15-2016-1.jpg
    1920 x 1282 - 329K
    HMC 10-15-2016-2.jpg
    1920 x 1257 - 314K
    HMC 10-15-2016-3.jpg
    1920 x 990 - 471K
    HMC 10-15-2016-5.jpg
    1920 x 1282 - 171K
    HMC 10-15-2016-7.jpg
    1920 x 1282 - 230K
  • Some fairly recent photos from my D600 at the beach of course...

How it is related to this topic? May be use D600 one?

• @Azo

Please enlighten me and elaborate further on this thought.

I already did. You just missed first part of the post and focused on second one.

• My point with posting the pictures is to illustrate that the older cameras such as the Nikon D600, D800, Canon 5D MarkII, 5D MarkIII etc are still relevant for professional photography. This is yet another reason that cameras are not selling as much. Especially considering that Canon and Nikon have not introduced anything really groundbreaking to entice users to upgrade.

• Canon camera units sold dropped from around 50 millions in year 2012 to below 10 in current year.

• Sony reports

img2797.jpg
    800 x 34 - 9K
    img2796.jpg
    800 x 249 - 35K
  • While DSLR's are inevitably headed for extinction, I'm wondering how lens sales are doing? How long before we see headless smartphone-controlled mounts for Canon, Nikon, and Sony lenses?

• I wouldn't be so quick to blame smart phones as there are a number of factors involved. I'd say market saturation is a big one. It seems the innovation curve for mirrorless is slowing down. And how can Canon and Nikon release practically the same camera year after year and expect long term growth? I don't have numbers but the chairmen of Nikon already expressed his concerns back in 2010. http://www.reuters.com/article/nikon-president-idUSTOE63I07820100419

Myself, I get caught up in more existential questions like, what does photography even mean these days when practically every electronic device has a camera and every image can be replicated an infinite amount of times?

• Does the Sony Imaging Products and Solutions Segment include image sensors, or is it mostly just photo and video cameras?

I had thought that the image sensor market was doing ok and had been growing in recent years (even as the camera market has been shrinking).

• I dont understand why if the business is down, the new cameras are becoming more expensive. One way to encourage serious than the price were more reasonable.

• @Manu4Vendetta

It is good idea to read more economical posts here :-)

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/6770/the-servant-economy-where-americas-elite-is-sending-the-middle-class-/p5

Check last posts with gif and see only at the right side of chart :-) And you will get the idea why.

• The higher prices are a deliberate part of Sony's strategy for their Imaging Products division. The sales in camera units are shrinking so they are focusing on higher priced premium models to try and maintain profit.

It's all in their various financial reports. Here's one from earlier this year: https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/calendar/presen/irday/irday2016/IPandS_E.pdf

Interestingly in the 2015 fiscal year, this strategy seemed to work for Sony. Sales revenue in the Imaging segment was down, but profit was up slightly. But so far 2016 is seeming like a different story.

• Interestingly in the 2015 fiscal year, this strategy seemed to work for Sony. Sales revenue in the Imaging segment was down, but profit was up slightly. But so far 2016 is seeming like a different story.

Again, see global picture, and such strategy can't work in long term as cameras are not cars and rich people do not collect them normally. Actually I think that in 2 years we will see special limited cameras and versions all around the market from each manufacturer, as they will try to exploit exactly this.

• Bleak reality.

• Nikon Corp cut its full-year unit sales forecast for high-end cameras for the second quarter in a row on Thursday, as a dramatic fall in demand among photography hobbyists that began last year accelerated faster than expected.

Nikon plans to eliminate about 1,000 jobs in Japan, or 10% of its domestic workforce, as the company shifts resources away from once core businesses to medical devices and other growth areas.

• Supply and demand. We are over supplied with cameras, therefore demand reduces. I think high quality imaging is a niche business (as it was in the film days) now that every phone has a reasonable quality camera built in.

• Nikon Results

We were unable to effectively respond to weakening market demand and intensifying competition. As a result, our profits declined and we failed to meet market expectations.
    We will discontinue the existing medium-term management plan. We will launch a “Preemptive Restructuring” plan while financially sound, to create the foundation for Nikonʼs “Next 100 Years”. Our aim is to increase value creation by enhancing our ability to generate profits.

Please do not ask how much sake you need to drink to write all this.

http://www.nikon.com/about/ir/ir_library/result/index.htm#y2017

img2856.jpg
    800 x 308 - 55K
    img2857.jpg
    800 x 469 - 74K
  • "Our aim is to increase value creation by enhancing our ability to generate profits." This kind of meaningless management speak is what kills companies. They really mean " We would like to make more money by increasing the amount of money we can make."

• @caveport

Are you thinking that this report is made by top management? Normally it is made by some quite smart people who just hate all this but know the words that must be present.