Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
55mbit vimeo doesn't look much different from original
  • My first custom GH2 hack on my OWN GH2B (gh2blackout ;) at 55mbit.

Incredible clarity and detail.

This is the raw MTS file.

I really have a hard time seeing the difference from the vimeo plus two pass 1080p encode and the 55mbit

- Blackout
  • 15 Replies sorted by
  • And what conclusion(s) are you drawing from not being able to distinguish the 1080p encode from your original?
  • #1 Vimeo 2pass 1080p encode is superior to youtube. I can see differences in youtube's encode. I am amazed that with this much detail, there were virtually no artifacts and there is a lot of motion in leaves ect.... I didn't see one blocky anywhere...

I go up to 75mbit if the camera is moving around more.

• @Blackout
    If you're looking for large quality differences between original and hack, it's the high bitrate, AQ4 settings such as Quantum V2, or slightly less quality SeqQuake. These are also GOP1 so motion is no longer in question. If you're concerned about spanning on 24H, by the new 64MB SDXC card.
  • How much time would you get when on that high of a setting on a 64mb card?
  • I think what BO is saying is the VIMEO encode is indistinguishable from his original upload, not the original Gh2 unhacked footage. The thread title says Vimeo not video?
  • @blackout about an hour record time. 15 hours.... 1TB. Haha.
  • Rambo's got it. The unhacked footage of this same scene was ugly. I was saying I am very impressed with vimeo's plus encoding... I am a pixel peeper and I really can't see much of a difference from my 55mbit and vimeos stream (there is a little loss in the trees but barely noticeable)

You can dl the raw .mts and look for yourself. Most people do not check the secret 1080p button in vimeo and so you see all these GH2 videos in fuzzy 720p instead of the glorious 1080p.

• Where is this 1080p secret button? Typically I thought The HD button in bottom right was enough.
  • I saw someone talking on vimeo about enabling 1080p streaming.. it sounded like the default streaming is 720p and you must enable it somewhere in the settings.. are there any streaming settings on vimeo+ account? because in my basic account I don´t see anything like this.
  • thanks guys !
  • Almost bought the 64GB extreme pro SD card today at B&H it's $189.00 but I feel it's going to drop in price to around $120 soon so I am waiting as I don't need it right yet. And yes, thanx @longJohnsilver I forgot about that post. The 1080p full encode feature is buried three menus in - that thread shows it with pictures:

http://bit.ly/taYRPd
  • @blackout

If Vimeo can almost equal 55 mb/sec with its lowly bit rate what makes you think 75 mb/sec is going to be any better than 55 mb/sec or 42 mb/sec for that matter?

Can you post the unhacked sample. I would like to see what artifacts the unhacked version has. Are you satisfied with the hacked GH2 now? Does it exceed your GH13's?
  • @mpg vimeo is encoding very slowly multiple pass - not real time. The more data the better but I don't see a huge difference after 75mbit.... I am very happy with the hacked GH2.... sometimes it's a little weird and it's hard to match my gh13s but yes, hacked, it is an astounding camera, without the hack, useless to me.
  • Then you may want to try driftwoods Quantum V3 GOP1. There's difference in motion and low levels resolve into black with less annoying compression artifacts. Also, it's here you will see how well the noise is represented without the smearing of lower datarates.