Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Sitting is deadly
  • The next time you wrap up your work day and realise you've been sitting in front of the computer for almost eight straight hours, maybe you won't feel so proud of yourself. A new study, conducted in 54 countries around the world, declares that 3.8% of all deaths are due to the fact that society spends more than three hours a day sitting down.

The authors calculate that reducing the amount of time we sit by about two hours (i.e., 50%) would mean a 2.3% decrease in mortality (three times less), although it is not possible to confirm whether this is a causal relationship.

Even a more modest reduction in sitting time, by 10% or half an hour per day, could have an immediate impact on all causes of mortality (0.6%) in the countries evaluated.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/09/160921095237.htm

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • Ha, some people now say sitting is the new smoking. Yeah, I think it's probably true that furniture in general is a WALL-E type health risk. When you try and live on the floor, like most people in the world probably still do, you realize how "hard" it is. Constantly shifting and getting up from the floor is great exercise. Gravity is a biatch lol. Certainly, we have seen a big push in the media and health related websites about stand up desks, but I wonder if their use has gained any traction in the real world. It is interesting to note that editing film was traditionally done standing up.

• It is interesting to note that editing film was traditionally done standing up.

Issues is that medicine for long time studied big issues that come from standing types of work.

Standing desk can be good for you to stand for like 20 minutes. But otherwise it is more marketing thing.

• Good point. Probably best to go through a range of movement throughout the day instead of being stuck in just one position.

• I have used a standing desk-top that could raise and lower at my office job, and while it is nice to have the option to stand periodically, its just not feasible to stand for very long at one time in that environment. But it definitely does help in the sense that you are moving and changing up your position periodically. Makes your feet hurt!

• @joethepro I agree.... I purchased a stand up desk and a $140.00 pair of really comfortable Asic's shoes. My feet were killing me and on top of that my ankles got really swollen. On a side note I can walk for about 10 miles without my feet getting sore or swollen. So it is just the constant standing without moving my feet frequently enough. I really don't feel that the standing desks are practical it is easier to just stretch out and walk around every hour or so then to use a standing desk.

• I have a treadmill desk that allows standing and walking (at adjustable rate)...but I also have a traditional desk right next to the treadmill for when sitting is required (mirrored screen, extra mouse, keyboard - less than 5 second transition time between desks).

I participate in a lot of calls during a typical workday. Before I acquired the treadmill desk, I was constantly walking the halls with my headset while I was on calls. So the treadmill desk was a natural fit. It did take me a couple of days to get used to typing/mousing while walking, but now I'm good. For those times when I need more precise mouse/trackpad actions (e.g., brush strokes), I do sit down at the desk or stop the treadmill.

I have definitely found that walking is better than standing for extended periods. Depending on the day, I can walk from 2-7 miles.

• @v10tdi that sounds like a great solution. Not very feasible for most office environments, but nice if you can swing it!

• I'm a goner - I've sat around for years and years(and years.) I try to get up at intervals, however. Only recently have I started blimping up, so I should really consider changing my lifestyle