Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Is GH2 worth keeping?
  • As a hobbyist, you know how it goes, you get more into the hobby of photography and videography, then you get "cold" then after a while more interested again...etc.

As I travel a bit more, lugging camera equipment is something I would like to avoid. GH2 is still good enough for my needs. But the portability...it bothers me. If I want to travel light, I only take the kid lens, 14-140. It has that "better" OIS, versatile zoom range, sharp enough. Sucks at night but ok, I can live with that. But having GH2 with 14-140 makes little sense, with all of my other lenses at home. It's like having a fancy bridge camera with me.

So I was thinking about selling it? But for some reason, being that is my first "dslr", I have second thoughts about being without it, lol. The price drop on GH2 is just...criminal, haha. I can't expect too much from the sale, with GH5 around the way, it would be sort of a miracle to manage to sell the 3 generation older camera for a good price.

What should I do? I see some people still laud GH2 video quality. I wouldn't like to be without it. Did Lumix come up with a bridge camera that's on par with GH2 video? I looked around and saw their FZ72, can't believe the zoom range, but the video examples I looked at on YouTube look...weak. Any options for this situation?

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • It is still a kick ass video camera. I still kept one of mine. If you want a long fast cheap replacement the fz1000 is good too. But it's also mature technology.

• Is it possible to compare GH2 output with FZ1000, does it come close to the GH2 style of colors and tones?

For my "travel" purposes, I really find FZ72 super interesting, actually I was pretty blown away when I browsed BH for Lumix cameras (loyal to the brand, what can I do) and saw the 20-1200 number. That's just...nuts.

TZ60 also occured as a good choice, due to ultimate portability. GH2 with lens is almost one kilo, and when I'm on a bike, that's heavy.

• I wish I had kept mine. It may not be the best choice for budget cinematic video anymore, but it's worth more than what you'll get selling it used. With Moon T8 it's still a fantastic 1080p camera, and great as a B-camera or a cutaway angle.

• It's not worth keeping except for one thing: it turns a 12mm lens into like a 10.8. If you have one, you can keep it as a B cam.