Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Anamorphic lenses/adapters made for dslrs?
  • I was just wondering, if there were any manufacturers out there, making anamorphic adapters just for us prosumers- for hdslr use.
    And if not- does anyone know why it is not done?

Im seriously curious, because it seems this would be a great market..
  • 15 Replies sorted by
  • Never heard about this.
    I think market is pretty small.
    But you can try to talk to Samyang guys :-)
  • Good anamorphic glass is notoriously expensive to design and produce. In the days of DV, optics like the LA7200, Century and Optex were produced at an attainable cost to match the sensors. Large sensors are pushing the limits (and over in cases) of those cheaper adapters.

A new good quality anamorphic attachment suitable for large sensors, even from someone like Samyang, is going to cost a lot.
  • This is very sad. I was under the Impression that something like the LA7200 would be enough for dslr use. is this wrong? Also, i have seen the LA7200 priced at roughly 1k - is this price really justified, considering the production costs?
  • The LA7200 is fine, it's just not the silver bullet everyone wants it to be....neither is the Iscorama, which is also overpriced. That supply and demand for you though.

Best value are the Sankor 16C and the Proskar 16. They're only usable with 50mm and above though (35 at a push, more so if you're cropping 3.55 to 2.6/2.35).

Anamorphic attachments are a slippery, confusing, inconsistent and expensive slope. I'm on it at the moment, but I absolutely love the look.
  • Exactly. What would be the best would be to see more cameras with the possibility of shooting 4:3 to get native 2.39:1. This would make it possible to rent anamorphic lenses, which would yield the best results.
  • Redstan is making some Isco based ones that hes going to put on sale

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/34211301@N00/

half way downish
  • @soundgh2: did he say when? i cant find anything right now on his site.
  • He said Spring 2012. I assume he means Q1.
  • When I last purchased a Diopter from him he had a few done, but lord only knows when on sale - try mailing him :)
  • ETC mode uses a smaller part of the LA7200. I can use a carefully-positioned 77mm diopter.
  • ETC mode on gh2 is only usable under very specific conditions, but not very well in a film which employs wide shots. Would you reckon to use the etc mode + diopter in close shots and to remove diopter in wide shots/switch off etc? does anyone have some focusing limits table or smth. like that? i mean, which distances are possible without diopter, and which with a diopter?
  • How big of a screen did you watch it on? It would be fun to know. My instinct tells me that the difference would be seen on a large screen, as the noise becomes more apparent.
  • @FGCU

Totally agree. And so does the community. Any debate over ETC should have ended long ago. See earlier threads to see why.
    And, since this is an anamorphic thread, ETC is another way to get your diopter. I use ETC almost exclusively, anyway so buying a 100mm diopter would be stupid when a 77mm will do.
    And yes,@fatpig , the diopter is only needed in close shots.
    Focus charts? Lenses used behind the LA7200 vary in angle and focus so you'd need a different diopter-focus chart for each prime lens and for each focal length setting of a zoom.