Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Which Setting is on Auto on GH3?
  • Hi guys,

I've been having a nightmare on a few recent shoots with my GH3. I'm shooting in manual mode and yet when I pan the lighting sometimes completely changes, as if there's an auto setting kicking in to change the light. It's giving me loads of headaches in post, because a clip that is otherwise well-shot, is suddenly having its lighting completely drop in brightness for example, during a smooth movement.

I've tried to look for this mystery setting to no avail and was wondering if you could help me out with what to look for.

So far I have got: i.Resolution - off Metering mode - center Continuous AF - off

Shooting with MF

• 15 Replies sorted by
  • Are you in the Manual Video mode? Manual aperture, shutter speed, and ISO? Manual everything?

• I actually thought that in manual mode you couldn't put the aperture, shutter speed or ISO into auto? When I move the dials or cycle through any of those in the menus, none display an auto setting. I'm also shooting with custom WB... It really feels like there's some tiny setting somewhere messing with me.

• Could it be metering modes? I don't 100% understand those, can they automatically change lighting within your shot depending on what they determine to be the proper exposure?

• Don't think the metering modes have anything to do with it. I was asking about manual movie mode to make sure you were doing aperture/shutter speed/ISO all in manual. Were you or were you not?

• As I mentioned in my last post, I wasn't aware you could have anything on auto in manual mode and here's no auto option displayed as an option when I've set the dial to manual mode, am I wrong?

• I assume you did not put the camera into Manual Movie Mode (M dial with camera icon) but into Manual Mode (M dial "photo manual mode").

• Ah yskunto, I think that's bloody it. Do you know why it would have had that effect despite being in manual photo mode? Aren't the settings still meant to be static??

• UPDATE: It wasn't the mode solution. Still totally perplexed! Are you sure it's not something to do with metering modes?

• Last check. Dial the mode to M Movie mode does not guarantee that the camera will be in manual mode. You must make sure in movie mode menu, the menu show "Manual M" not "S" not "M", flicker protection off.

If all does not work, then dump your camera! Hahaha
  • When you say in the movie mode menu, I'm in the Motion Picture menu and have selected 'M' on Exposure Mode but cannot put 'Manual M', only 'P', 'A', 'S' and 'M' - I presume that I'm looking in the wrong place but cannot see another option in which I can put letters like these.

The options 'Picture Mode' and 'Flkr Decrease' in the Motion Picture Menu are also greyed out.

Help me obi Yskunto, you're my only hope.

• Bump Bump :)

• Just as an update to this thread. I've now got a GH4 and it does the same thing. Shooting movie mode...

• Dial on top should be on Movie M (movie camera icon with letter M following)

1. Then go into menu.
    2. In the Motion Picture menu, on the first page, at the bottom, set Exposure Mode to "M".

That's it. If it still doesn't work, then send me your camera. ; )

• In Movie M mode the camera screen brightness may change a little when you pan but the recorded result is unchanged and constant exposure.

If you use "iDynamic auto" the result changes according to scene contrast. It raises dark tones if the scene has hard light.

• It's probably auto brightness setting for lcd - is the recorded footage showing this?