Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GF2 Hack collecting
  • GF2 is likely to be the only GF model with a hotshoe and a touchscreen. It has a stereo mic-in and an accessory port for DMW-LVF1 eyepiece, too. It deserves sorta collector's edition, but it's getting dirt cheap right now.

Here's great news for GF2 owners. Vitaliy just needs two GF2 units delivered to him so that he can begin dumping firmware for hacking.

Let's raise money for him. Whoever donating will be helping themselves, too. Hacked GF2 will kick ass!!!
  • 88 Replies sorted by
  • Just remember to add to donation comment anything containing "GF2", ok?
  • Greta idea i have already donated 10 $
  • Great news!

Might be selling my GF1 to get the 1080p and Cinema Colour Mode then... do you think?
    "The DMC-GF2 features the My Color Mode with a total of 8 preset modes, including the Cinema Mode which gives the movie cinema-like gradation. "

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/LUMIX+Digital+Cameras/LUMIX+G+Compact+System+Cameras/DMC-GF2/Overview/6491444/index.html

10$ on the way :)

• I just did, too.
  • Mmm. Might have to return 14mm Panasonic lens and buy GF2 combo instead. It's cheap, yes.

Is the 1080p video of the GF2 worth it once hacked, to use as extra camera beside the GH2, you think?

I have to return the lens tomorrow then. Will definitely donate money if you think resolution of 1080p and codec is good enough once bitrate is upped.
  • Anyone with access to both the GH2 and GF2 who could do a comparison?
  • Sounds great, done ditto donate.
  • The GF2 with 14mm lens is cheaper than with the standard lens here in uk £299. If it can be hacked it will make a great shove it in a pocket camera. Donated. If it happens great if not the money will be put to good use so its a win win.
  • 10dollar from me also... love the hacked gf1 so a GF2 with 25p, manual controls & bitrate upped might be v. nice,,, very nice indeed.
  • We are at $85 (minus paypal fees) now.
  • I forgot to comment with "GF2" keyword on the paypal page.
  • @stonebat

I know this. And included yours $20 :-)
  • I will be donating in a few days. My goal was to have two cameras that can do full manual 1080p25. I need cheap solutions, as money is tight. GH2 is main camera, and hopefully soon to be 25p. So buying GF2 in a couple of days and hoping it can be used as solid B-cam. I think it will be great.
  • Black friday is coming up...
  • just donated!!
  • @oscillian good luck.

I ordered from newegg. GF2, 14-42, a bag, 4GB at $340. Go through http://www.fatwallet.com to apply for 3% cashback. Sell everything except the body. The net cost would be $220. Hopefully it becomes hackable. Use it for a few years. Sell it at no loss or possibly at profit.

I call it a free rental. Pretty much that's how I got GH1 body. Gotta love Panasonic.
  • amazon recently were doing the gf2 w/kit zoom for $299. hope it will come back to that soon.
  • It wasn't direct sale from amazon. 3rd party company through amazon sold it at $299, and they sold out quickly. Prolly other resellers load'em up.

I'd say the newegg deal is almost as good as the expired amazon deal. Since the newegg deal comes with the bonus baggage, I guess the resellers aren't interested in.

There's 14.5mm kit deal, but a fair price of new 14.5mm came down a lot. A brand new "standalone" 14mm is around $200 on ebay. Selling a kit 14mm without warranty on eaby would be... around $150? In other words, it's not that great deal.

Very unscientific review video. "is this camera Ferrari of cameras?" "NOooooo" Hahaha. I can't watch whenever people expose m43 sensor.

• I know this is a gf2 thread but i had a play with a g3 today...man I wish it was hackable...even if to get manual video controls!
    So if Gf2 possible...G3 possible?
  • We are at about $155 (minus fees)

@Mimirsan

About G3, I do not know.
    Let's do things step by step.

• this will be on sale at newegg today for $290.
  • I missed it. Guys, don't miss it. It starts on the 24th.
  • actually it might start today
  • available now
  • just picked one up.
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions