Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Cutting GH footage with HDC-SD800? $600 on b&h
  • Anyway... I got the GH2 working really nicely on livestream, and then suddenly it stopped working.... and I don't know what I changed. livestream won't support it... yet they will support THIS camera:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/749854-REG/Panasonic_HDC_SD800K_HDC_SD800_High_Definition_3MOS.html

It outputs a non messed up uncompressed hdmi 1080 60p signa - yes - full 60-P which apparently even the af-100 doesn't do...l and it's $600

WTF?

What am I missing here? Why this ability on these cheap cams and not our beloved GHs and AF?

Yeah, I know it's not a hdslr but for livestream events I could get a couple of them to be able to cut to just for some different angles,
    it also has a 1080p 24p mode we all love - but I don't know how it looks compared to gh13 & gh2 footage.

Anyone have this thing? I mean... $600... full uncompressed hdmi out with none of the BS panasonic is doing with the GH2s hdmi out?
  • 16 Replies sorted by
  • Hi @Blackout

You got the Intensity pro right? Then it doesn't accept HDMI 60p:

1080i50, 1080i59.94, 1080i60, 1080p23.98, 1080p24, 1080p25, 1080p29.97, 1080p30, 720p50, 720p59.94 and 720p60.

Also- HDMI output is a VERY delicate thing, and also a very expensive pro thing... just because they say 'clean' HDMI does not mean that! Remember that officially Panasonic thinks the GH2 is 'clean' HDMI as well... Its only because this has been tested.
  • Jesus lord well WTF!?!?!??

(gets gun off shelf and loads it and aims at head)

Is there ANY sort of BOX for a laptop that will take this things footage?

Wait a sec, it also says this cam does 24p, so I COULD use it with the blackmagic right? Or is the hdmi out always 60p? Oh the confusion.

• This is not that much of an issue... this camera probably doesn't output 60p... (guess).

But personally if I were you I would try to get the GH2 working again... if it worked once- it HAS to work again. Try resetting all of your software.
  • The Canon HV20 of a few years ago DID output full HDMI out. A few people did uncompressed capture and they said it looked great was was easy to grade. This was just a year or so before the DSLR revolution so there really wasn't any affordible capture solutions so it didn't really go anywhere. People who could afford the HV20 couldn't afford a portable capture solution.

Things are different now with BM shuttle and Atomos. I have a HV20 that doesn't play tapes anymore but still does live view, but it feels weird spending $400-1000 on a cam that's worth $200. Especially with no DOF controlls, but for live streaming those cams should do nicely.

Edit: OK, the HV20-40s could output but it's 60i with 24p in the wrapper. That was another problem, pulldown.
  • When some don't work on GH2, I simply reset all settings from the camera menu. There's "reset" menu item.
  • To answer your question @Blackout: currently the GH2 outputs 50i/60i over HDMI regardless of the settings chosen (dependent only on Pal/Ntsc). When put in 24p mode it outputs it 'packed' within the interlaced format. The issues re hdmi that everyone has noticed is that the 'packaging' is not that great- and sometimes an extra field is added in. A bit like Steve Reich phasing. But this shouldn't be noticeable over software- the software should believe that its 50i/60i.

Good luck!
  • well when I got it to work in those examples it was not doing a 24p mode it was in 1080i mode but livestream does a very nice job deinterlacing so the 1080i mode out becomes a VERY solid beautiful 720p 30p livestream at about 1700mbit...

• @Blackout, If you're fine with 720p, then why not just buy the cheapest HD camcorder you can buy that has HDMI live out? I bet you there are lots of cams out there that do full HDMI out but nobody knows about them since nobody's looking or nobody can test that properly. Can you buy a cheap cam from Best Buy or someplace, test the HDMI out then take it back the next day if it doesn't look good?
  • Livestream is PRO - oprah uses it to stream - and they recommend the tricaster (forget that $15,000!!!) or the blackmagic cards and this cam was the lowest level camera they say works. In other words they will give me support. They will give me no support with the GH2 which they called 'a toy'

yes yes I know before you get mad... I got very stunning results with it.... but now I am thinking when I had the shuttle I was set to 1080i 59.54 or whatever not 1080i 60
  • HDMI output is a scam... it is a consumer version of sdi with all these extra wires for no reason other than copy protection schemes.

• @Blackout
    > HDMI output is a scam

I don't understand Blackout,... RED has HDMI out- and many more- it is becoming the new standard... there is even talk of adding timecode to the standard!
  • @Blackout...I'd say SDI is the scam since HDMI can do 4:4:4, but since SDI is the "pro" version that means they can charge 10 times as much for that functionality. I did a quick search of HDMI and SDI specs and the fastest SDI runs around 2.97 Gbit/s and HDMI v1.3 runs 3.4 Gbit/s. Seems like the biggest benefit to SDI is it's a locking connector.

HDMI is all most people need. Also I found the link to HV20 footage captured uncompressed from HDMI using Black Magic Intensity card. http://www.hv20.com/showthread.php?9670-Uncompressed-grabs-from-Intensity-vs.-film-scans.

That's some of the frame grabs from the link, and the thread was started in 2008.
    LT_You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    LT_Eris_Mike_Full.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • What I mean is that all the digital output you need can go through SDI and one coax wire - hdmi was invented for copyright protection - and just look at some of the ridiculous pricing on cables claiming better quality. Scam. The best cable I have was a 20 foot comprehensive I got for $20 bucks at b&h.. while this dude bought a 'monster' hdmi cable for like over $200 that failed while the comprehensive is still going strong.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/748288-REG/Comprehensive_HD_HD_20EHR_20_6_1_m_HR.html
  • the camera is now $499 and it outputs 1080p 24
  • If the shuttle worked it would be better though because then it would be portable and laptopable... I now know that my mini hdmi to hdmi cable was bad, so I don't know if the shuttle would have actually worked or not... I don't understand why you would spend so much money for the matrox box if $200 does the same thing... is it a mixer or something?
  • HDMI specs were created by major HDTV makers and supported by major studios. Bring back Steve Jobs.