Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
DJI want to stop Yuneec sales in US
  • 14 Replies sorted by
  • Looks like DJI are claiming patent infringement for the interchangeable camera mounting platform as well as the follow-me / object tracking mode. Typhoon H customers are not going to be very happy if a court injunction halts shipments before they even begin.

• Typhoon H customers are not going to be very happy if a court injunction halts shipments before they even begin.

It is US only thing.

Plus it is best recommendation you can get. As DJI see real competitor here.

• I interviewed a Yuneec rep at NAB 2014 going over their drones and told me they have offices in different countries which makes me see that they must be an established company. I had a feeling they are going to be stiff competition to DJI in the future. 2 years later and the Yuneec name brand is becoming very known to people who are interested in drones.

This reminds me of what happened at around the time Sony announced the F5 and F55. Red not only decided to slash the prices of their cameras by a big amount but also decided to try and sue Sony.

• It would be very interesting comparing the DJI Phantom 4 to the Yuneec Typhoon H which is supposedly releasing soon. The Typhoon H with it's current features will be the biggest threat yet to DJI. Most likely one of the biggest reasons why DJI decided that now's the time to finally go after Yuneec publicly.

This isn't just Yuneec that DJI is going after. Intel have actually partnered with Yuneec. They invested over 60 million dollars into the company. The soon to be released Typhoon H has Intel technology in it.

It'll be interesting seeing how this lawsuit plays out.

• The Typhoon H seems like a great value, but two issues plague its spec sheet - top speed and range. With DJI lightbridge on the Phantom 4 I was able to fly a mile out and perform perfect orbits of a lighthouse and historic building without a single frame dropped in my FPV. I used sport mode and was able to get out there in just over one minute. If the Typhoon top speed of 22 Mph remains it is going to be frustrating and limiting in some ways (tracking vehicles, transiting longer distances, etc).

As far as range is concerned the max Yuneec claims is one mile and they've said something akin to "well you don't need to fly more than that because of LOS rules." I expect those rules to change eventually and one mile max typically means wifi technology is being used which often breaks up as near as 300-400m depending on the area's interference. With the P4 I can fly out to a container ship anchored 2 miles off the coast in less than 2.5 minutes. After taking all the video and pics I want, I still arrive home with a comfortable amount of flight time left in the tank. It's really hard for me to ignore the extra footprint afforded by the P3 or P4, now that its allowed me to pull off shots I never would have been able to get on a more limited system.

If Yuneec does not address the speed and range deficits they're going to have a hard time winning converts.

• @Tron

Yep, most manufacturers have flaws in range and FPV.

• Wish this was an April Fool's Day post.

Maybe with Intel's muscle behind them they might try counter suing DJI in the future...

• I wouldn't say 1 is better than the other. Both has pluses and minuses. I would have preferred the Phantom 4 because of some of it's benefits but recently I've been thinking about the fact that the Typhoon H has 6 rotors instead of 4, the camera rotates 360 degrees and the drone is supposedly stronger than the Phantom 4. I'm most likely going to the Azores in June and if I was able to afford one of them to take with me on that trip, I would rather wait until I can see people comparing both drones in many different areas including camera quality. I would like to take aerial shots of the scenery.

Regardless, The Typhoon H really is going to be the biggest threat yet even if it doesn't sell nearly as much as the Phantom 4. The timing of the sue is so close to the release of the Typhoon H so you know DJI is a little worried about it. This is also soon after DJI started partnering with Apple and as we know, Apple have been in intense legal battles with Samsung in the past.

• The Typhoon H looks like a really sweet package when paired with the CG04 camera they've been touting as a purpose built GH4 for aerial. Can't wait to see real world footage if it ever sees the light of day.

• Typhoon H looks good...

• @filthy As far as I know, the CG04 camera + gimbal is only available on the Tornado platform, just too heavy for the H. It would be really cool if they could repackage an LX100 or GM type camera for use with the Typhoon platform. They seem to have the best relationship with Panasonic of all the drone makers so who knows.

• @Tron - damn! You're right. Guess I got it twisted somehow. I've been looking for a way to shrink the footprint of my existing copters that can carry my GH4. Hoping to one day have a heli that I can hike with that's better quality than my Phantom. Oh well. Guess I'll stick to the big octos for now.

• @filthy I'm looking for the exact same package... whoever comes out with it first will sell a ton of em!

• It would be really cool if they could repackage an LX100 or GM type camera for use with the Typhoon platform.

Yes, I'm quite confident you could make up a gimbal for a RX100/LX100/DL18-50 and fly it on the Typhoon H platform.