Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Home cinema advice
  • Hey - anyone have knowledge of home cinema set up? I have a BenQ W1110 projector on order and would appreciate advice on additional kit/set up etc, for audio I have a pair of AudioEngine A2's i'd like to connect wirelessly - kit suggestions welcome also - a good hardware media player i can hook up my film drive to for playback/streaming

• 36 Replies sorted by
  • Well :-)

You need good screen
    Preferably some subwoofer or entire 5.1 setup

About player - get any small computer on Intel latest Atom chips - X5 or X7 ones with full size USB 3.0, Wi-Fi and also Ethernet port. Install Windows and you are set, none of hardware players can match it, plus it'll later perfectly play 4K p60 HEVC videos.

• Hmmm - I'm hoping a large, smooth white wall will be good substitute for a screen :) I'll checkout decent subwoofer options to work alongside the Audioengine speakers. Any suggestions on wireless connection for the speakers?

• Get a screen, even a cheap one. Makes a huge difference with sharpness and colour etc.

• yep...windows w/vlc.... the player of choice. You can also get a blu ray with usb input, but it isn't nearly as flexible. My personal preference is picture is far more important than sound. I've got a 5.1 but the image quality is what makes the experience.

• Can anyone recommend a good basic pulldown screens in the UK? Also - my PC knowledge is non existent, any recommendations here?

• Actually, I would recommend getting a fixed screen if you can. Less wrinkles. I'm in Australia, don't know about uk screens but here you can get a 110" fixed screen for around $400 AUD.

• Does anyone have experience of either of these two options for a media player: raspberry pi 2 with Kodi or the nvidia shield?

• Does anyone have experience of either of these two options for a media player: raspberry pi 2 with Kodi or the nvidia shield?

Forget all this shit. Only normal Windows 10 players will be problem free, tested by millions of people.

As I said get something like this

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Tronsmart-Ara-X5-Plus-Windows-10-TV-Box-Intel-Atom-Cherry-Trail-Z8300-Quad-Core/32637954158.html

or if you like fancy stuff and do not care for USB 3.0

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Newest-8-9-Inch-1920-1200-PIPO-X9S-Mini-PC-Windows-10-TV-Box-Cherry-Trail/32630884727.html

if you want only wired network connection (it was Wi-Fi but do not count on quality on tiny wire as internal antenna)

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Wintel-Pro-W8-PRO-Z8300-Windows-10-4K-MINI-PC-2G-32G-802-11b-g-n/32616539207.html

• Thanks - option 1 is nice compact size and within budget - and problem free is key word(s) for me Being a Mac guy in creative industries I now have many stupid questions : once this Tronsmart is set up I can buy and program a remote control to use with this like regular media player?

• once this Tronsmart is set up I can buy and program a remote control to use with this like regular media player?

yep.

Any Windows compatible remote will work.

You can use cheap presenter ($6.2 via mobile app) or more advanced remotes

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Brand-New-2-4GHz-Wireless-USB-PowerPoint-PPT-Presentation-Presenter-Mouse-Remote-Control-Red-RF-Laser/32230352058.html

• Excellent, thanks - my media player is decided :) Now just wireless speaker kit and subwoofer to organise. Do you know of any good wireless solution that enables me to connect projector to powered speakers without the need for cables?

• Do you know of any good wireless solution that enables me to connect projector to powered speakers without the need for cables?

How about just audio receiver with RCA outs for at least front speakers.

Most modern ones perfectly work wireless and it solve your issue with crossover and calibration.

• @tubefingers

No, I mean normal receiver with amplifier. Like Pioneer, Onkyo, etc.

• ok, my Tronsmart Arax5 finally arrived! My PC knowledge is minimal - what software/apps do you suggest installing for use as a media centre?

• for speakers - Im sticking with the Audioengine's and running them from Arax5

• also - i know you suggested a remote - would that one linked be adequate for basic controls: playing music, selecting movies, netflix etc?

• My PC knowledge is minimal - what software/apps do you suggest installing for use as a media centre?

Lots of stuff exist, Google. I suggest Zoom player if you have mouse capable remote.

also - i know you suggested a remote - would that one linked be adequate for basic controls: playing music, selecting movies, netflix etc?

It is presenter - it can do anything that mouse can do.

• great thanks, i install Kodi 16 to start, seems to work ok, I'll order the presenter

• @tubefingers....why'd you choose the transmart over the compute stick ?

• why'd you choose the transmart over the compute stick ?

Sticks have much worse Wi-Fi speed, many overheat.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Do you know an easy way to set up Kodi so that it runs on start up? (its the only software I need to use for media)

• if windows 10 is the same, you just drag the app icon into the startup folder. btw....google is your friend

• I hope its that easy, this is the kind of info I had found via my friend ;) http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Make_Windows_boot_directly_to_Kodi_(as_a_shell)

• that's how it works for me...just copy the startup icon that the app creates on your desktop to the "all users" startup folder . Kodi is just another application, like any other. On mac they're called aliases.

ps....every mac user should be forced to learn alittle windows. You might be surprised like I was !