Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Autodesk to follow Adobe - only subscription option will remain
  • Autodesk, Inc today announced a restructuring plan that will accelerate the move to the cloud and its transition to a subscription-based business model. Through the restructuring, Autodesk seeks to reduce expenses, streamline the organization, and reallocate resources to align more closely with the company’s needs going forward.

Autodesk plans to reduce staffing levels in the near-term by approximately 10%, or approximately 925 positions.

Autodesk's cloud subscription passes half of the company's total income.

The company's LT Family products went subscription-only during 2015, its individual desktop products went the same way at the end of January, and its creative suites will finish the transition to subscription-only on 31 July 2016.

I really wish all this monsters to go bankrupt, the sooner - the better. And take Adobe with you also.

But something tells me that they will live happily, reducing actual developers count at the same time.

• 1 Reply sorted by
  • After acquiring full perpetual copies of Autodesk Entertainment Creation Suite, Avid Pro Tools HD, and Adobe Master Collection, they all went subscription over the last 3-4 years to our dismay...

They all lost all our money from then on, continually threatening to drop our upgrade path every year or change terms on our package once we agree to subscription, meanwhile having yet to show significant improvements over the previous versions since going subscription- I mean renaming programs and features, changing menu options and patch updates for broken cloud features hardly justifies subscription when all the real recent improvements came via new hardware performance gains and not "cloud" revolutionary software gains ...

Only now, 4 years later am I considering renting ("subscribing") Creative Cloud for HDR and H.265 export on a couple 4K projects, as needed...

What next, DSLR camera companies eliminating sales and only leasing 4K and 8K "cloud-connected" cameras?