Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Using the same focal length, problematic?
  • I love my 25mm Olympus lens and want to use my EM5 mkii for some short documentary work. Instead of buying a bunch more primes like the, 17mm and 45mm or even some older cheaper OM lenses or getting in my mind an inferior zoom like 14-42mm olympus. I wondered about just using the 25mm cause I can get close ups, wides and mid shots if i move a bit more. Personally I prefer this to a shot which is zoomed.

But the question is for the viewer what affect does it have using the same focal length all the time with no variety, of course i would have close ups, wide shots etc mixing it up but is there a problem with using the same prime? I wonder what the affect it has on the viewer? boring? etc I do recognise extreme lens would make a big difference i.e. using a 12mm for close ups, but I'm talking about a 25mm on 4/3 which technically is a normal lens.

• 3 Replies sorted by
  • Not an issue.

Many great films have been made with just one or two lenses. Some great filmmakers spent most or all of their career just with a single lens. Ozu almost always used a 50mm, so did Robert Bresson, to give a couple examples.

• Good point, I know Ozu a little but i'll have to look into Robert Bresson.

• On an APS-C, if I had to use only one lens it would be a 28mm or 25mm, so I think it's doable. I've done a lot with a 28mm on a GH2. I'd test it out and see what you like.