Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Shooting a Video with a 136 Years Old Lens
  • 5 Replies sorted by
  • Impressive.

Sometimes i wonder how good has to be a lens?

For 136 years old has more character and resolution that some cheap canon glass.

Fuck, it even has a grate bokeh.

• Wow! I wouldn't have guessed it would work so well.

• Love this lens' character as well!

• I usually 3d print my adapters rather than shimming things onto m42 converters and I use a bellows rather than a pile of extension tubes, but it's definitely possible to get really great results with older large and medium format lenses. The biggest problem is that all of them are fairly long on a 35mm-size sensor. Lenses in the 75mm-100mm range are the ones you're most likely to find on 6x6 or so folders and they go up from there. Most of mine are in the 135mm range. That guy's is a 300mm.

The ergonomics aren't great either - my bellows balances pretty really poorly for handheld shooting, especially on a light Sony A7x camera and I have to assume that his slightly heavier extension tube/helicoid monstrosity balances even worse.

• I was like "136 y/o lenses can't do color?" until she clapped her hands...lol. I then rewatched fullscreen on YT. This is some serious steampunk hipsterism. Great character, and I didn't expect the resolution to be there.