Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Is there a good GH2 hack for long record times at 30p?
  • I've had the Flomotion2 patch on my GH2s for years and never had a problem recording 2+ hour concerts and events in 24L (as per LPowell's suggestion not to use the higher 100mb modes for long recording reliability).

A friend of mine is trying to use them now to match his 30p setup. Problem is, as I understand it, the GH2 only supports 30p at full resolution and sound in HBR. He tried that, and the camera chokes every time in the middle of recording. I told him to use the fastest cards he can get, and it still chokes eventually. I guess LPowell was right, his 100mbps modes aren't good for long recordings that require spanning.

So my friend is asking what to do, but I've only captured in 24p so I'm at a loss for suggestions at this point, other than just telling him to return to stock. I think he likes the idea of the hacked GH2 being a legendary performer, and would just rather not return to stock if there is a better option. Are there any reliable hacks that can handle spanning and be stable for long recording times in HBR? Or is there another full HD 30p mode that I'm not aware of, that uses a lower bitrate with Flomotion? I know the GH2 is practically ancient history at this point, but I'm sure someone else has had to deal with this before?

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • Cake is optimized for reliable recording in 30p HBR mode.

• Real world use reliable?

• I'll have to say yes, balazer did a great job with Cake. I'm running it on 4 of my GH2s. I record concerts that frequently last over an hour and Cake has been super reliable.

• Nice, I'm reading up on it now, thanks! LiquAlpinist- just to be clear, you're capturing concerts that last over an hour in HBR mode, or 24p? I'm under the impression in my testing with other hacks, that HBR (30fps) is largely less reliable and has problems spanning than 24P modes. I've never had problems with 24p long recordings.

• I use Cake's HBR mode for about 90% of the time. The ONLY time I had a failure was the firmware somehow became corrupted. After a re-flash it worked flawlessly.