Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
XLR cable repair
  • 5 Replies sorted by
  • By far, the easiest and fastest way to do this is to buy Neutrik connectors with the splicers built in. No soldering and they work perfect. If you are going to solder, the video is doing it incorrectly. You heat the cup, not the solder.

• That´s a soldering tutorial for cold joints.. lol

• @klany HaHa yes but then you don't have to connect the mic, so you save time.

• @DrDave What are the Neutrik part no. for built in splicers?

• mmmm good question rummage rummage here's the Amphenol AC3MI

And the neutrik--here's a discussion. https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-possibilities-acoustic-music-location-recording/588986-crimp-vs-solder-xlr-experiences-wanted.html

Some ppl think you are more likely to have a cold solder joint than a failure of a quality crimp connector. I would say I have seen more cold solder joints, but I solder my own and carry the crimped ones for field repairs, if needed. I have cables with the crimp that are way old, having said that, I should probably replace them with Gotham, of course, or Canare.

Of course, that guy in Las Vegas solders them perfectly, so just buy cable from him.

Note that some ppl, myself included, feel that gold plating is a really bad idea and will apply the solder, then remove it to deal with the plating, then resolder everything. A real pain.