Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Planned obsolescence or built-in obsolescence
  • Planned obsolescence or built-in obsolescence in industrial design is a policy of planning or designing a product with an artificially limited useful life, so it will become obsolete, that is, unfashionable or no longer functional after a certain period of time. The rationale behind the strategy is to generate long-term sales volume by reducing the time between repeat purchases (referred to as "shortening the replacement cycle")

Buy new gear only if you will use it a lot, because within short time you will want to buy a newer gear... GH1, GH2, GH3, GH4... G6, G7...

• 3 Replies sorted by
  • And?

Cameras in last years do not actually have much relations to any obsolescence.

• Hmmmm. I'm still happily using my GH1 and G5's. I bought the G7 to become my A Cam, but still use my other cameras and don't feel they are obsolete. In fact I foresee a nice run with this set of cameras. I'm shooting 4K on the G7 for 1080 delivery. None of my clients has any need of 4K. I just like the flexibility the 4K gives me to shoot wider and still get a zoom or pan out of the footage. Plus the image is very nice and it's an easier camera to use from my limited experience with it.

Only time i've had the feeling of gear being obsolete is the tape cameras as the formate kept changing. With Digital not so much of an issue.

• For example, with current prices for GH3 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892456-REG/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_GH3_Mirrorless_Digital.html ) and also used prices, I see no reason to complain.

Around 99% of your clients will never tell any difference between GH3 and GH4.