Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
100 Mbps kinda low for 4k
  • I may be wrong but isn't the mp4 bit rate of 100 Mbps that's used on GH4 , G7 etc. for 4K recording, equal to about 25 Mbps in HD. 4K has 4 times the picture information to encode. It would have been nice if they pushed it up to at least 150Mpbs

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • Should be 200Mbps minimum

• If you watched it on a screen four times as big from the same distance, sure. But that's usually not the case.

• Perhaps true that being said it looks pretty dam good considering. Every thing has trade offs from the results I think they made the right decisions.

• I'm with you @nickr. Higher for sure would be better. At least for my own selfish needs. GH4 is my main aerial rig. And nothing stresses a codec like high motion, wide to medium wide shots with lots of detail. But I gotta agree with @Scot in that the implementation is pretty damn good. It's extremely rare that I've seen the codec start to fall apart due to bitrate. Of course heavy grading will expose the limitation. But I've yet to personally shoot with anything else that can record 4K in camera at this price range with this quality. I've had limited hands on time flying with FS700 4K and FS7 4K. Both have different challenges rigging for aerial. They're amazing (especially FS7) and a step up for sure. But not without their own tradeoffs and not nearly in the same price range (i.e. client budgets).