Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Why there is no fast stabilized wides in m4/3
  • I would like to have about 10-12mm f2 OIS lens for my GH4. Is there something like that other than lenses with adapter?

• 9 Replies sorted by
  • Wait for the GH5, it has a good possibility of having IBIS in video mode which could work well with a lot of existing wide primes. Wide lenses don't often benefit much from IS anyway unless you're shooting handheld photos in low light which is done better with Olympus 5 axis IBIS cameras.

• If the shoe fits (example: Canon 17-55/2.8 + 0.71x S.B. = 12-39/2.0 with IS), then why not wear it?

• @brianc1959

Is it worth additional hundreds of dollars and increased weight and size and worse handling compared to if there would be a native m4/3 option? Still Panasonic native lens would be very expensive too.

How about Sigma 18-35 f1.8 + speedbuster?

• The 12-35 f2.8 is your only option, af, iOS and will be able to handle indoors, just not very dimly lit rooms

• @Vesku For many people the answer is yes.

The Sigma 18-35 + Speed Booster (12.8-25mm f/1.2 for 0.71x ULTRA and 11.5-22.4mm f/1.1 for 0.64x XL) are amazingly good combinations for the GH4. However, although you do get fast AF you won't get IS because the Sigma lens has none.

• It's probably due to the fact that Wide angle lens need much less to almost no stabilization compared to long focal length lens because the small movement are very subtle...

• why not a used 17-50 of tamron or sigma with speedbooster, they say the IS is better than panasonic 12-35 and it costs the same, I don't have 12-35 but I also have seen that it has problem with exposure when zoon in/out that both tamron and sigma and probably canon zoom perfectly

• It is odd that if I want fast wide stabilized lens I can buy a whole 4k camera LX100 cheaper than any other option.

• Still 50 time less than buying a Cooke, Angenieux or Arri-Zeiss Master Prime. :)