Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
best 49mm variable ND filter? (B+W or Heliopan or something else?)
  • I only found two variable ND filters in 49mm. I have Tiffen filters with larger size and stepup filters. Looking for the best 49mm variable ND there is. I think the Tiffen with the stepup ring somehow softens my image on the A7RII. Not happy with the result...

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • Do a search - so many threads on this

• I gave up on variable ND's. Too soft. I carry a fixed 3-banger and 5-banger Hoya with step-up rings for all my lenses. I don't pixel-peep, but I can see no degradation in the image with either one. I haven't conjured up a need for using both of them at once, since my G6 goes down to ISO 160.

• thanks! but 49mm filters are really limited and I know a step up ring is not much extra weight or anything but I hate to fiddle around with things...

• You might look into the Xume magnetic system. To keep from fiddling around, you have to buy an attachment for each lens, but after that, you just snap on the one you want. Stacking them might be a problem.