Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Shooting 1080P120 with A7sII?
  • Why are there no reviews with preproduction A7sII? When showing the specs, why do they show the A7s body?

Now my real questions:

1. How long will I be able to record at 1080P120?

2. How will the file be displayed on my computer?

3. Do I need special software to get slow motion or can I just use VLC Player plus the keyboard +/- to adjust the speed like I do with 1080P30?

4. Will the internal codec bit rate be high enough to display the detail I want?

5. Is the HDMI port capable of exporting the file to an external recorder of monitor?

• 3 Replies sorted by
  • For questions 2-4, you can probably look at the implementations of 1080p120 on other Sony devices (like the RX100 IV and RX10 II). For questions 1 and 5, you're probably going to have to wait until the camera is in the hands of reviewers and the blackout period lapses.

• Well, I got my A7sII and have shot two 29 minute segments + 10 minutes before overheating shutdown. First try so settings were not exactly optimized, but the Video is exceptionally smooth and motion blurrr is much less. As expected quality was much better than nearly unusable 720P120. File size is only 21GB per segment.

What I am waiting for is an Odyssey firmware upgrade so I can record continuously. The 7Q+ can record 240fps from an FS7 so I know they can handle the A7sII output. And they should because it will make the Odyssey a necessity like it was on the A7s.