Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
AVLinux
  • First thing about Linux:

Get the distro called AVLinux 6.0.4 while you can...

I downloaded and tested lots of Linux distros pointed by http://www.distrowatch.com and I found AVLinux to be the best one for audio/video/graphics work because it is solid, robust, stable, full of softwares already installed in the live DVD, easy to install, no need updates to work properly, can be installed without internet connection, and has the best kdenlive video editor version, the 0.9.10, the most stable and bug free, and also other useful softwares, handbrake for pulldown removal, blender for video stabilization, can configure keyboard for different languages, has gparted for disk partition, can use ext4 format for better system performance and fast boot, the desktop is lightweight and colors can be configured. It is the most perfect free software bundle for audio/video I could find. And an extra gift: kdenlive can do separate audio sync in timeline, yadif deinterlace, lanczos upscale and firewire capture for old dv/d8/hdv cameras. I am learning how to use these linux softwares and I am amazed by them. I also like gimp, libre office, inkscape and lots of audio softwares which comes in AVLinux... Jack audio and low latency kernel are included for better audio performance with audio interfaces. Synaptic Package Manager can install more software from debian repositories, mypaint, krita, and extcalc are good ones. Not sure but it seems to have drivers for Wacom devices. It can use onboard gpu or nvidia with custom drivers or nvidia drivers. This distro is 32bit, but has pae to use more memory. In terms of free software, I perceived that a stable and well configured 32bit system is better than an unstable and incomplete 64bit system.

If you want free software for audio/video AVLinux 6.0.4 is the way to go:

http://bandshed.net/AVLinux.html

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • It's many years ago I last used a 32bit operating system. 4GB of address space might be ok for just experimenting, but when I render videos consisting of hundreds of clips and effects, the "melt" executable routinely requires up to 9 GB of main memory.

I'm happy with my 64bit Linux distributions, and they are not at all unstable. From the computer I'm writing this on:

uptime 00:00:03 up 457 days, 1:19, 16 users, load average: 0.05, 0.11, 0.13

(For non Unix afficinados: This computer is currently running for 457 days without any reboot.)

• please share your distros with us! and why you choose them.

the "pae" feature in AVLinux allows the system to use more than 4GB of memory, but I think each software can use only 4GB.

but if 32bit is a problem, in distrowacth website there are other "multimedia" distros with 64bit, ubuntu studio and kxstudio are great ones. I also like pclinuxos full monthy, artistx and musix.