Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH6 and Varicam GH camera
  • There is a rumor that a panasonic representative from my country told me.

There will be no GH5. It will be called GH6 and it will have all the full sensor redout, and 10bit internal but only on 1080p they said.

Then the other new camera will be a new GH series of camera with super 35mm sensor the varicam one. It will be expensive, but will be video orientend machine. The price of both cameras where not dislosed.

I have and idea that GH6 will be arround $1500. And the varicam GH camera arround $4500 to $5000.

From my point of view, i think ill pay arround 5k for such compact camera with the varicam sensor. And about GH6 it sounds like a winner, bummer its not 4k 10 bit internal, but sounds like a progress.

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • It will be called GH6 and it will have all the full sensor redout, and 10bit internal but only on 1080p they said.

Gh4 already have 10 bit internal, if you downsample 4K :-)

• I doubt there would be enough people buying a GH Varicam at $4500 to make it worth manufacturing. I would rather have the lower priced JVC LS-300.

I imagine a new 4/3 mount GH5 could be made with a new s35 sensor for under $2500. It would have to be optimized for low light Video in order to even compete with the A7s II that will be priced close to the same. And, I imagine it would have at least 10 bit 4k at 60 progressive frames per second internally.

• m43 is the panasonic standard. change it to s35 means new lenses, completely new system. I doubt panasonic will do s35, at least on cameras below 10k usd.

m43 sensor with less megapixels and multiaspect is pretty enough for shallow dof and good low light in 4k video.

focal reducers are here to improve this if needed.

• Gh4 already have 10 bit internal, if you downsample 4K :-)

Well... it still captures at 8 bit, so you dont get any of the benefits of capturing at 10 bit (better recovery).

• Apefos, I used the JVC LS300 CamCorder as an example of using a MFT mount with a s35 Sensor because it can also use the full Sensor (uncropped) if the glass is big enough. Samyang makes these lens and I am sure there are others.

For my use the weakness of the JVC Sensor and the GH4 is the low light performance. It seems logical that a larger Sensor (like the A7s 12MP one) would be better for low light. Panasonic already has a s35 Sensor and I think they could optimize that for 4k low light by making a 12-16MP version for Video.

• @RRRoger could you point me to the low light spec of the LS-300 and the Gh4 (if you have it) I am curious. I would have thought the LS300 would be better in low light than the GH4... Tx.

• @RRRoger thanks for pointing me to the LS300, seems to be a great camera, the idea of using m43 mount and s35 sensor is interesting.

now it has log firmware upgrade:

http://pro.jvc.com/pro/pr/2015/releases/gyls300_v2.html

and the low light seems to be good:

• Just bring out an AF200 at last!!