Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Camera shops in Hong Kong
  • I'm off to Hong Kong for a shoot in a few weeks and only have one free day to scout around. Anyone local recommend any good camera shops, new and secondhand? I'll mostly be on Kong Kong Island, but will be traveling from Airport.

Thanks.R
  • 6 Replies sorted by
  • Looking for old lens, used waterproof housings (still and video) and any GH1 or GH2's, Or other VDSLR's.
  • cool. What you shooting? Weather here that time will be nice.

Old manual lenses: Champagne Court on Kimberly Road (Kowloon) has 4-5 stores
    VDSLR gear: Not much. Can try Zhao Xiang Guan http://www.zxg.com.hk/ on Kimberly Road as well. They mostly stock Genus gear.
    Then there is also Genus themselves whose HQ is in Sheung Wan, HK Island. You can buy direct from them.
    Apliu Street on Sham Shui Po, Kowloon, has a cluster of Chinese-made camera goods, including Wondlan. Great for little stuff too like step rings, bags, adapters...
    New Cameras: I always go to Wing Shing in Mong Kok, Kowloon

On HK Island side, there is a row of camera stores on Stanley Street in Central. 2-3 stores also sell 2nd hand lenses. But the stores in Champagne Court are more centralised and have far more stock.

You can also consider buying gear from Chinese sellers online and avail of cheaper shipping to HK. A seller in Shanghai offered $70 for international shipping for a mini jib but I whittled it down to $18!
  • Thanks Ed, Shooting 2 events, Hong Kong Dragon Run ( World Series Event) and a Sailing/Rowing race around HK Island called ATIR. Shooting from a Small 20 ft Hydrofoil.

Perfect, I will check them all out. Had the idea of preorder online some of the heavy stuff before I get there and take home on the plane. Others with me will have no luggage, so probably good for 100kg.

Thanks again for your help.

R
  • @Rambo
    Yup, it's a great idea to let others take it back home for you. I do the same when I'm in the US!
    If you need a freelance videographer PM me.
    Have fun

Some tips for visitors to HK:
    - Prices are not always cheaper in HK compared to US or Europe. We don't have sales tax but they are marked up to cater for Mainland Chinese tourists
    - Tsim Sha Tsui is a heavy tourist area. Do not buy any expensive items from any of the stores there! Only except Zhao Xiang Guan like I mentioned above
    - if you like you can try second hand stores, a majority of them in Kowloon side. They're very popular and you're free to try the cameras and lenses before you buy. It's a legitimate business. There's a nice variety of old and new cameras and lenses.
    - We do tend to get all the new gear first considering our proximity to Japan and no sales tax.