Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Gumball 3000 Rally 2015
  • This is our adventure with the Gumball3000 Rally 2015 From Reno - SF - Buttonwillow Race Track - LA - Las Vegas. Enjoy. Feel free to critique and give advice I know some shots were Unstable and out of focus also I didnt have a decent low light lens for the end so bare with the high iso. Shot in 4k 24p, 4096x2160 , Cine D ,rode vmp. Next time ill shoot in UHD because I get the black bars when Shooting in C4K.

Thanks.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonlindquist/

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • if you disliked it put why in a comment so I can improve.

• if you disliked it put why in a comment so I can improve.

Well, the main problem I find in here is the total lack of story, even contextualization. Unless one is a car lover, there's no much to chew. What am I seeing? Where's taking place? Who are these guys? And I want to be clear, I'm not talking about a "traditional" narrative, neither documentative exposition/explanation, it can also be done in the way it's cut and mingled, how the images relate, how they flow through time (pace) and how and when do they change. A script, the seed for a story, can be just a simple idea from where to built somethin'. Say... what do all the owners of these shinny machines have in common, what's there different from one to another? Or you can focus in one element/character and go from there. Even documenting, dressing the skin of a hardcore arcquivist, one can do wonders and have lots of fun. FUN FUN FUN, we do not work for BBC news, we are allowed to have fun and enjoy, phy~si~ca~lly, to mess up, to do as we like and probably one of today's major problems, everyfucking body likes the same, aims for the same.... and then ah that, that has been done... WTF? Like if there were 234.000 Sokurovs walking around and posting YT videos every tuesday!!!!

I'm getting acid, need to eat now... an advice (something I tell myself) from one peer beginer: have fun, dance with the camera, learn to see, detach thoughts from hand, hand from balls, play more, put yourself in the shoes of a old fashioned super detective or pimp, attention orbits around interesting things, curves are always welcome, watch nazi propaganda, make a pizza just with your camera, love, fucking love more, care more, do not listen to absolutely anybody but the voices in your head, don't waste too much time or resources in gear, climb a mountain, scream your secrets out loud, snort sugar, etc., etc.

• Yeah well its a car Rally and those are all the cars , not much of a story there. sorry it wasnt a martin scorsese film...

• - - -  self-erasing function - - -

From Frankenheimer's Grand Prix - 1966

• I still dont understand how I could have made that better with what I had.

• Basically this is just like a personal travel video. Yes there is no story. You are just documenting stuff. You need short clips strung together from different angles (wide shots, closeup, medium, different angles etc) That makes the non ending stream of cars going past more bearable. Thats it. You can't do one wide steady shot going on for a long time as cars zip by for something like this. You want something with fast transitions.

I think this is still too long but here is a video of the Gumball 3000.

Yes its over exposed etc but the different angles and shorter clips make it easier to watch. 2-5 sec clips is all you need. Shooter said his friend told him to go and he went and used a canon dslr and a 50mm lens with no tripod since he wasn't expecting to shoot video.