Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH4 - Best Fisheye (ultra-wide) Lens for Cine?
  • Hello!

I'm trying to find something that could translate to 14mm (in 35mm land) without overly fish-eyeing. It seems like a lot of people have shot in 4K and used "De-fishing" software to get it looking nice in 1080p.

Found a bunch of 7.5 lenses. As far as I can tell these are as wide as the format can go. But, there are so many. And the Rokinon and Bower look kind of the same. I also noticed Rokinon and Samyang label their last two as "cine".

Any opinions on these lenses?

Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5 Ultra Wide-Angle Fisheye Lens for Micro 4/3 (Black)

Bower 7.5mm f/3.5 Fisheye Lens for Micro 4/3 Cameras (Black)

Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5 Ultra Wide-Angle Fisheye Lens for Micro 4/3 (Silver)

Rokinon 7.5mm T3.8 Cine UMC Fisheye Lens for Micro Four Thirds Mount

Samyang 7.5mm T3.8 Cine UMC Fisheye Lens for Micro Four Thirds Mount

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • Simple: they're all the same lens (made by Samyang), just sold under different brand names.

• Wow, really? Even the T3.8 "Cine"? That's hilarious.

• It's the same for all of Samyang's lenses- they're sold under different names in different territories, for tax/importing reasons I believe. Some people call them "manybrand" lenses for this reason. The "cine" version just have built-in gears, clickless apertures, and different focus/aperture markings. Same lens internally.

Your best and most expensive option for an ultra-wide but non-distorting lens would be the Panasonic or Olympus 7-14mm zooms.

Next up would be a booster/focal reducer plus an APS-C UWA, like the Tokina 11-16mm, Sigma 10-20, Canon 10-18 or 10-24, etc. This would have the added bonus of being brighter, and most of these lenses will accept filters.

If you have to go the fisheye route, you could do a native 7.5mm manybrand, as you suggested (cheapest/simplest/probably sharpest option), or for more width, an APS-C 8mm manybrand on a booster/reducer. This is what I use on my GH4 for shooting action-sport stuff. Here's an imgur gallery comparing this setup vs. the 7.5mm:

https://imgur.com/a/TZKiR

• Upgraded from samyang 8mm to panasonic 7-14. The first benefit is the in camera distorsion correction, the second is autofocus - it is not so easy, sometimes, to guess the right focusing on a fish-eye and yes, images can be completely out of focus! Third: higher, higher picture quality. I guess Olympus is even better Edit: the lens was samyang 8mm for canon, manual focus. I don't know about the m43 version

• Wow, really? Even the T3.8 "Cine"? That's hilarious.

T3.8 = F/3.5

T-stops measure the actual light that passes through the lens where F-stops is a physical measurement of the opening. A T-Stop will always be a larger, slightly more "stopped down" number relative to F-Stop. T2.0 lenses most likely represent F/1.8 and T3 being equal to F/2.8 and so on.

• The 7.5mm m4/3-specific fisheye is sharper than the 8mm APS-C fisheye, especially wide open, in my experience. By f8 or so they're the about the same.