Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
US: Spending

paycheck.png
    1000 x 3000 - 328K
  • 4 Replies sorted by
  • 9000$ per year for transportation - on average - WTF?!? How do you generate such high expenses?

Even though I decadently use to fly to exotic overseas locations ~3 times a year for diving trips, I would not even hit the 45000$ mark. Ok, I own a bike, not a car. Still, the few times I need other means of transportation would never stack up anywhere near 9000$...

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Interesting stuff here, but I would definitely focus on median income which is about $51-53K for US household. The average (mean) is often seen as higher (here it's listed at $63,784). Also the pre-tax and post tax numbers aren't a accurate reflection of actual percentage of income paid as tax. For people at median, it's about 40%, where the numbers reported here are 19.9%.
    (Note: I'm assuming the number listed here as average annual expenditure is post-tax income, but if it includes expenditures made with credit cards, equity lines, or other loans/credit, then my 19.9% isn't accurate.)

• @karl

It is official statistics (see link on the bottom). Expenses are proportional to the distance from work.
    Some US areas are most horrible in the world in this aspect.

• Ok, I got the error: The headline on the graphic is misleading: These numbers are not "spending per average American" as one might think. They are "spending per 'consumer unit'==2.5 persons". So it's actually 9000/2.5=3600 per "average American", a much more plausible number.