Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
First multicam music video using 2 GH4's
  • I finally got the chance to shoot something that I wanted to for a friend who's brother passed away. He wrote this song in memory of that friend and we went out at 5am to start shooting and came out with this wonderful video.

Gear used: Panasonic GH4 x2 Panasonic 12-35mm Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4

All shot in 4k UHD and scaled to 1080 in post which allowed for a lot of post zoom/pans, and re-framing!

Let me know what you think>

• 3 Replies sorted by
  • I feel it weird the contrast of a young musician playing his guitar in the woods
    and the sound being such a clean studio recording, with 2 guitars!!

That said the music it is very very nice, some echoes of a faster Jakob Bro; maybe from Daydreamer days - much younger then.
    About the video I kind of miss close ups focusing on other details, wider visual (imaginary) variety and a more daring approach (also in the cut room, 4k crops?). If the sound was to be dubbed afterwards, Chris doesn't need to be playing on camera all the time; you 2 could for instance have gone for a walking and playing B-roll material, exploring the woods and that sort of things. Camera movements ARE very smooth and liked very much the sun raising from his chest and the lower magenta spill.

Looking forward to hear Chris' music and see your coming projects Tyler =)

• @maxr

Thanks for that feedback, I actually felt the same about the video. My storyboard contained a lot of B-Roll shots to break up the performance and create some kind of story, but he insisted he wanted straight performance. I tried to insist but he was very persistent that this is the image he wanted so I did my job haha.

I love the feedback though those are some things I didn't think of and some things I really wanted to do but couldn't

• I see… first of all let me tell you that I never give feedback in I’ld have done it so much better character, but I also believe that potential of improvement is killed too often with a careless “good job buddy”… take in account I live in the country of getting by :P
    Then of course there is the sensibility particular to each viewer.

Now the client problem. I see myself mirrored in your words Tyler, I really do. I’ve being learning the hard way that most important thing in these kind of jobs is TRUST. One has to be able to build as healthy a relation as possible and in that ideal scenario trust is key. I think there are many variables and these change depending on people involved and the task itself. Even when there’s already a good inter-personal foundation going on, one has to relish and keep it flowing.

I have only - and shall apologize in advance for the hypersubjectivity inherent to my persona je je - my own experience to share. 90% of the time I work for artists… can you imagine the nightmare some days. That has become - as Vitaliy would probably put it - my niche. They all have very particular visions about the world and very but very chaotic lives and yet strong mindsets. Then of course they all have this cultivated idea(l) of how something should look like. Many times that’s the first stone to take out of the way, specially if it’s a documentation of their work and not the work itself; though often the separation it's not that clear. Now and despite this might sound polemic, the way I managed (and sometimes I fail) to address this problem includes:

• I am an artist too and this fact allows me to grasp better your work as to bring something new, something fresh to the table.
    • There’s too a technical side in my artistry process (being photo, video, CC, pagination, editing, subtitling, proofreading, sound mixing, printing, DVD or web authoring, any content delivery preparation, etc.) which not only I master and understand - very important even if there’s some doubt to pass a clear image of this is my domain bitch!!! - but implement it accordingly my own sensibility
    • The knifes with 2 edges; both the extremes, most insecure and most secure of people need a lot of massaging and (no joke) fearless dive into their souls. Why? Because if one knows what triggers their poisoness side it would be far easier to have it under control and deal with bursts.

/ / An extreme example. Once I was working for this guy (bipolar type) on a remote location and the more I worked the more violent he was getting - things to solve with himself. I changed my schedule so I’ld work at night to avoid confrontation… but got to a point it was unbearable and, hey he “needed” that. So yet again he came nagging me and making awful remarks and whatnot, I get up, face him and shouted and showed a very aggressive side, man was he scared. Next day I left… he needed to get it together… after some time we met again and finished the job without further BS.

BUT most times it’s a work of patience and achieving balance. We absolutely need to know the waters we're sailing.

• Prepared to do a lot of personal laundry. If not, this kind of works turn hell on earth.
    Becoming a better human being never hurt anybody :P
    • One needs to practice with the drunken master of all psychopaths and funniest clown on town
    At all stages, keep the talk to client simple, BS free and CLEAR, specially relating goals
    • Sometimes we have to put the foot down just look before for ants - awareness alert, there are so many things we cannot (an will relentleslly fail to) change.
    • If everything else fails, repeat sutra SHIKI FU I KU KU FU I SHIKI till spontaneous black hole engulfs cosmos. It might take some kalpas
    • It is okay to befriend client but do not let empathy get in the way, with time gets better.

/ / I have, now a friend, a client which relation at first was truly difficult. He's a musician and also photographer and videographer and a very good one, bit lazy. He is also very determined the know better everything... I learnt from him a lot, specially that no matter how sure you're about your metier, it's good to keep a flexible approach. Then a feedback session is something I'm looking forward not as necessity to put closure but as an open true grow together dialog. Our relation (both personal and professionally) is now based on trust +)

• Clear and real limitations are not limiting but help defining and taking a (di)erection said grandpa
    • For most jobs preparation is crucial; prepared=relaxed. I think was Bill Murray who said that his life changed the day he understood the more relaxed (puff) the better his performance.
    • For the rest, capacity of improvisation and adaptation. KNOW YOUR GEAR and technical and personal resources, strong points and limitations, as greatly helps problem solving on the field. Being attentive doesn't harm either.
    • Clean ears and learn to listen, also what's not said, (more often than not) the real motivation/drive behind words
    DO NOT promess something you cannot keep, ever!

/ / As chaotic as I am, I made deadlines my religion, ja ja so dramatic, yet true.

• Be realistic about time frames and specially about post. Account for changes in direction; nevertheless, the clearer and more real (accurate) the vision shared with client, the less surprises.

Insert here the we'll fix it in post nightmare scenario.

The economic side should be the first thing to talk and agree upon; then there's out of the way
    • Have everything written down. Remotely working? Emails!!!
    • If working through a producer, be sure the client (artist) - your - producer directives all match.
    • We'll make mistakes, apologize and LEARN but don't let them get in the way or undermine you. I like Alexander Hamilton's throw at it a well adjusted person is one who makes the same mistake twice without getting nervous.
    • These are all fine but at times the only way is... to get drunk and stoned and dance till the morning, buy eggs
    • Be passionate, love what you do, spit straight
    • Be honest with your work (and failures) but not conformist. I think that the best perfectionist practice is the one which endeavors to improve knowing that the works are consistently imperfect, thanks god =)
    • A personal view or finding one's own voice is being who you are; thus let's not lie to ourselves.
    • And for christ's sake have fun

Tyler, by no means I master anything, this is some of the shit I say to myself as a motivational and practical reminder of some sort. If you find it's out of place or hijacking your thread I have no problem whatsoever in deleting it =)