Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
10 Litre Challenge
  • 10 Litre Challenge

Shortly, I'm about to embark on a two up motorcycle journey from Jo'Burg to Swaziland and back. There are two panniers, each 31 litres for all our stuff. I hope to make two off, eight minute episodes about the trip and the places we visit.

I've allowed 10 litres of space, and here's a photo of all the kit, which actually is a bit off because I've realised the chargers are not shown.

Whats here is:

• 5D3 with recent Magic Lantern, 2 Off 64GB 1000x cards, 1 Off 32GB 1000x card, 1 Off 128GB 1066x card
    • 24-70 f2.8 lens
    • GoPro 4 Black with 4 off 32GB Class 10 cards
    • H4N with 32GB Class 10 card
    • HHG-01 Gimbal
    • AS312 light
    • Rode Lavalier Microphone
    • Gorilla Pod
    • Fishing pole, shorted to 2.7 metres modified with 1/4 inch thread to take a clamp for the gimbal for high shots
    • Billingham 255 bag (just out of view)

I'm feeling that I'm going to be wishing I had the 70-200 Lens. I've made tests using the Gorilla pod as a shoulder rest, more practice needed.

I've been out a couple of times with just that lot in the bag, seems like I'll need to get creative!

DSC00199 (1).jpg
    2415 x 1379 - 1M
  • 5 Replies sorted by
  • I'm feeling that I'm going to be wishing I had the 70-200 Lens

I dunno much about ML hacks, so may I ask if you're planning to also record in crop modes or 3584x1320 and punch in later?... what about IS, is that the main use of the Gpod? ... I guess that biggest problem is space and not weight ??? Hope you don't mind the silly questions @andyharris , find very interesting to understand how pips solve practical problems. It seems you've put together a tight set of tools and out to lots of fun =)

• Are you hoping to shoot magic lantern raw in the field?

• Sounds like a great adventure! Have a blast. ( I would definitely squeeze that 70-200 in somehow.)

• @maxr @mrbill

In Raw, the best a 5D3 can get is about 2048, a little over 1920. However, it can be made to chose which of the 3584 the 1920 can be taken from. They call this digital dolly, however it is a 25 stage process!

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/?topic=5441.0

The Gorilla pod can be used as a tripod on the tank of a static motorcycle/wall. I've tried wrapping it round trees, but there is a fair bit of sag on it.

I made this test (its just a test):

In nasty sun/shade light conditions to see how the 14bit Raw coped, I also wanted to test the audio sync, which appears to have worked well.

I've tried a bunch of ways of using the gorilla pod as a hand held rig, the 'upper handle' has worked best so far. It is far easier to stabilise ML footage than stock Canon, mainly because rolling shutter is minimal with ML.

The important thing about the ML hacks is that they'll eat a 128GB card in 8 mins and 50 seconds and about 60% of the battery life in that 9 mins. Therefore shoot discipline will need to be tight.

Made this test:

with the GoPro.

This evening I've been testing the fishing rod, which is way more bendy and springy that I expected with the weight of the GoPro and gimbal at the end. More work required!

@matt_gh2 The presenter will be solo with 2 31litre panniers, I'm so tempted to persuade him to carry the 70-200 f2.8 so that I can take photos when we get to the game reserves. Might have to re-title to 11 Litre Challenge though!

• Wow the DR on that first video!!! I actually liked the colours... that footage must be a joy to grade

ML hacks is that they'll eat a 128GB card in 8 mins and 50 seconds and about 60% of the battery life in that 9 min

that's just crazy, same with the 25 steps... I see why you're planning in just a couple 8min chapters ,-)
    When I saw the wind and the guy talking in second video couldn't believe how crispy clear the sound came out, nice! Seems like you already having fun, thanks 4 taking the time