Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
How can I get close to this look?
  • I know there is more to it than just grading and any input in other areas other than grading would be appreciated. I am trying to get the look of this Black and White documentary.

I know it was shot on 16mm but I will be using an Em1 omd Olympus.

Any advice on grading, and filters, plugins, lenses ect though I am on a micro budget. I was thinking Tony Kaye might of been using a color filter to get some of the look?

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • Firstly, shoot in color, so you can choose your B&W look in post. ;)

• What are the descriptors of this look? What pops to me is the constant presence of black, in every scene some bit of the image is clearly and completely black; Highly gradated lights, very very few blown out highlights, so upper exposure was carefully guarded; and though mid-tones were generally smooth, there could still be major contrast in tones ... which leads me to wonder if this was shot on film, if perhaps they used a variant of an orange or red filter.

Once you've got the tonality of the blacks/highlights down, I'd suggest working with say an orange or maybe red or green filter effect.

Neil

• I dont know, @rNiel, it looks to me like nearly every scene had some blown out highlights. The roloff was pretty smooth, but they were everywhere. Just high contrast with pretty nice mids.

• High contrast. Quite a heavy vignette over all shots. Because it is possibly B&W 16mm film, the film stock reacts to different colours very differently than an electronic sensor. DaVinci Resolve has RGB controls designed to replicate that kind of film response and has very good information in the manual about how to use them. Good luck!