Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Most Cinematic Patches For GH2
  • If this thread is redundant and it exists somewhere else feel free to point me in the right direction.

I'm using Moon T7 right now. Just looking for opinions on patches that lend itself to a cinematic look.

I realize cinematography is founded on light use & quality, lens selection, location, grading, etc, etc. - but I am looking for some shooters to weigh in here on patches specifically, preferably with examples. I remember seeing a Valkyrie patch video once that looked a ton like RED footage - does anyone hve extensive use with these patches?

Thanks to all that contribute.

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • Extended trailer cut for a feature I shot using Intravenous v2 hack/patch/setting. Shot on 1972 Lomo lenses. Other than first 15 seconds, grading was very lightly done, often with none. Film is called Night Shooter. Hope this is helpful. (Note: Train shot with other camera, everything else GH2 with Intravenous v2. )

• Since the term "cinematic" is incredibly vague, I suggest that you reword the question to ask which patch has the specific measurable qualities that you are looking for instead of one which is largely based on the opinion of the person using it.

• I seem to remember a thread like this in the past that came to some consensus that Intravenous V2 has the most 'classic film' look and Moon T5 and T7 have the most 'modern film' look.

• @eatstoomuchjam - Incredibly vague? I don't think so. But vague is fine. I would prefer the opinion of the person using it, so that they can explain what they think is cinematic about it. I'm not a patch-tester or creator so I can't give you specific values to go by. Patches that mimic a film look, to be more specific; seemingly wider DR, more progressive looking images, film-like colours, etc.

I realize the stats of the GH2 are a far cry from 35mm or RED/Alexa, but I'm looking for patches that might reflect those mediums most accurately.

• GH2 patches don't really change the look of the camera at all. Just bitrates, GOP structure, noise appearance etc. A lot of people don't seem to understand what the 'hacks' actually do! There's no patch that changes colour rendition, for example.

• @Fontee I'd try a bunch of them and you'll soon see what you like. Here's a few popular ones Moon T5, Moon T7, Moon T8, Apocalypse Now Boom, Intravenous v1, Intravenous v2 (one of my favorites as I have think it's an 80s film look), Flowmotion (not sure which version but check that thread for latest), Sanity and many more (hope I didn't forget any of the popular favorites! ).

Also play with the in-camera menu "Film Mode" settings such as "Smooth", "Standard", "Nostalgia". I like Smooth. Seems Smooth and Standard tend to be favorites. Also the four other settings that can be adjusted from -2 to 2, will change the image.

Combine those things with lens experimentation and you'll soon come up with a "visual texture...aka an image type...a canvas" whatever you want to call it. Then it's all about composition and lighting, and post color correction/grading.

Have fun. Great thing about this cam is ability to get a lot of different looks. Party on my brother! Over and out!

• If you are only uploading to youtube or vimeo then really any patch or even stock GH2 can provide the cinematic base.

Almost all patches are an improvement over stock image quality. Although the improved quality and extra detail come with an increase in noise. Some of the patches noise patterns are welcome as it can give a film grain appearance. It's best for you to try a few patches and do some controlled test scenes to compare for yourself. You will see the differences with a good monitor and it becomes more apparent when you zoom in.

If you are brave there is the Mysteron Burst patch but it will only give you 5 seconds of the highest quality image the GH2 can record. In low detail scenes it can record longer clips but as soon heavy detail appears again the 5 second limit can hit. I have not tested it myself so I cannot comment on its noise level but every comment I have read said it has the most detail they have ever witnessed from their GH2.

EDIT: There is also the HDMI out option, which requires some post correction for certain issues. This is reported as best quality from the camera.

• I too am using the moon T7 for my 2 gh2s. Am happy with the look, it has the feel of GH4.