Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH3 vs GH4 screen res
  • I already have a GH3, but find it tricky sometimes to use the rear screen to manual focus accurately. Could be my eyesight is not great, but I also use a loupe and still find the resolution is not conducive to snapping the lens into focus. Is the GH4 screen a big step up in this respect?

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • Would have been easier to perhaps use the existing GH4 user experience forum for this. But ok, I'm here. I still have only the GH3, and yes, that screen is caca to use for manual focusing. Which is why I've order a Neway monitor from the forum here that is currently en route to me. I'm now using some of my Nikon lenses on the GH3, and loving the results ... BUT ... not loving the loss of auto-focus that comes with this. And realistically I'd rather manually focus most of my stuff anyway.

I've worked for only a short bit with a "4", and that after playing with one at NAB last year. The screen on the "4" is VASTLY better for manual focusing. In straight operational terms, for me that is one of the bigger upgrades in the two cameras. Well, and it does skin better (not perfect perhaps) so one needs to do less work to make skin good in post. Ok, and shooting the higher res means you can crop in post ... and ...

Neil

• Thanks Neil. It's what I expected really. I was also looking at a small external monitor, like a 5.6" with a high res.

• GH4 has focus peaking which works rather well and is easy to see on the LCD screen.

• Both the GH4's rear screen and EVF are much better than the GH3's. With a loupe on the screen, critical focus is quite easy even without any aids such as focus peaking.

• I use a MustHD 7" Monitor Not only bigger, higher resolution but it also has an adjustable button to crop/zoom the image.

• I have the same problem with my GH3. External monitor is too much for me. I'm thinking about switching to GX7.

Does the GX7 have better evf and rear screen than GH3 (GH4 alike)?

• As a GH3 user that loves to use an adapter for my Nikon glass, I've got one of the Neway clho-76 monitors on the way ... simply because it was cheaper than buying a GH4 and currently I can't justify the cost of the 4 from income derived. The 3 is working fine other than when I try & focus all that Nikon glass.

The tap-on-zoomed-screen manual focus assist of the 3 is not quite a joke. You can sort of guess at focus with that and a loupe on the screen ... having that short time with a 4, now ... that was the horse of a different color!

Neil

• As noted in the thread on Monitors over the Neway CL76HO-X ... just got in my monitor and I'll be reviewing it there. Loving it so far!