Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
SDHC: Pretec Class 16
  • Just bought a Pretec "Class 16" 32gb Card at Newegg. Will test speed on arrival. Never tried class 16~!
  • 15 Replies sorted by
  • Hi DrDrave please do the test, if it is possible please try with drifwoods intra patch as well. card seems quite cheap I would be interested
    thanks
  • Did a quick search...this guy tested a bunch of cards including that Pretec.
    http://sportsphotoguy.com/nikon-d7000-raw-burst-test/

This is what he said about it:
    "Pretec HD Video Class 16 (16GB) – 2.1 fps; 17 MB/sec. Non-existent speed class is merely a marketing gimmick."
  • (Nigel Tufnel voice) It's six more, innit?
  • Well, $35 for 32gb is reasonable. I'll test it on some patches. The sportsphotoguy did not test video and he did not test the 32gb card (which may be slower, ack!). I'll test it against the Sandisk 20mb/sec. If it does 17 mb/sec that is faster than any of my budget cards and also the Transcend, Patriot and Kingstons that I have. Pretec says "The 3rd generation of Pretec high speed SD cards not only achieve the highest speed rating in the world with Class 16 category, but also boosts its read performance over 65 MB/s with the cutting edge 2Xnm NAND flash in DDR technology"
    Vaporware? We shall see--I think mine is the 233x speed not the super duper one in the ad. Hey, $35.
  • $35 is good, really.
  • Here are some decent numbers from Tom (I remember Tom when he was Tom...) for the 32gb
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sdxc-sdhc-uhs-i,2940-11.html
    Of course reliability is important and unknown for most cards.
    The Kingston looks very zippy!
  • will our GH2 support Class 16 cards? and has anyone tested them on driftwood hacks?
  • I should have it tomorrow but I'm pretty sure it will work in any class 10 camera. I hope.
  • Class 16 doesn't exist. This is an marketing strategy. Period
  • Well, got the card. It is a very good price--thought not as good as the Class 10 version for $30.
    Downside--speeds are basically class 4-class 6.
  • Sustained transfer (writing to the card) of a very large file is in the 15-16 range, the same as my Transcend Class 6.
  • I used it with cbrandin 66mbit hack and sometimes the GH2 won't record due to "slow write speed of the card" (can't remember exact terminology). Once it "cancelled motion picture" recording after 5 minutes! I was horrified as it was during a job but luckily I checked back and the data was still there. My SanDisk Extreme Class 10 and never had these problems - despite the slower speed. Think I'll just use it for my NEX5-N....
  • They didn't lie: 16mb
  • 16mb-ish :) I think the speed grading of these cards is pretty ridiculous. I think comparing it against a known card is a better indicator. So it is basically like a Transcend class 6. But until you test it in-camera, there is know way to know how close to the edge the record speed is, and I bet there is sample variation among batches of the same card.