Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
iFootage Wildcat clone compact stabilizer on eBay for $75
  • Found on eBay: "Professional Handheld Steady Stabilizer For Video Camcorder DSLR Camera Portable"

I just recently bought one of these, and wanted to share my thoughts. It’s a copy of the iFootage Wildcat, which costs 7x as much. The only difference I can see is that it uses an aluminum shaft instead of carbon. This is a non-issue, because every bit of weight below the handgrip helps with stabilization. It will work with cameras as heavy as a GH4 + Speedbooster + Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8, but that combo does sway a little bit (I personally don’t mind that, as it makes the footage look more floaty and organic). Any lighter setups work phenomenally well. It’s easy to balance (less than three minutes), and extremely compact. It obviously isn’t going to replace a gimbal, but if you want a good stabilizer for less than $100 than you can easily pack into any bag and never have to worry about batteries or weather-proofing, you should seriously consider this. And there are times when I would use this even if I owned a gimbal, as I personally really like the organic floatyness of a mechanical weight-driven stabilizer.

Here is a real quick test, with a GH4, BMCC Speedbooster, and Sigma 18-35 opened to 18mm (f/5.6 or so):

Stabilizer.jpg
    596 x 596 - 63K
  • 2 Replies sorted by
  • Link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional-Handheld-Steady-Stabilizer-For-Video-Camcorder-DSLR-Camera-Portable-/291152160304

It is also incorrectly to call this clone.

With this thing (as it has tiny gimbal) it is usually exactly this part and overall accuracy and design that suffers.

If you ask me - it is better idea to get cheap S-40 stabilizer with carbon tubes for bigger gimbal.

• That swaying fromside to side wasnt organic...it was just seriously annoying.