Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Is thunderbolt not preferred vs usb 3
  • In search of thunderbolt usage and P-V members. not seeing much discussion, like we all love usb3 and satisfied getiing work done. I bought a late 2012 macbook pro but nevet use it thunderbolt port -;). It's been almost 3 year now thinking the price of thunderbolt things like hard drive, enclosure. adapter woulg go down but it is not. Hope some one would give me some advice

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • What is the question?

• There's really a lot of variables that can go into the decision between USB 3 and Thunderbolt... and honestly price and availability are the two biggest. I LOVE thunderbolt. I have a few thunderbolt devices (in particular a blackmagic intensity extreme). But due to affordability, most of my storage is USB 3. Right now I'm mostly running 4TB Seagate Desktop Expansion drives with USB 3 because for my current business model, they're affordable and they work. I don't have a need for much faster data transfer at the moment. There may be a time where I do... and obviously as well, a RAID 5 setup would be great too... but right now the work I do would not see a great enough benefit to justify the additional cost.

• I prefer thunderbolt because my iMac and my macbook support it, but I end up using USB3 for a lot of things (only my macbook supports it.) I have those modular seagate drives and a thunderbolt adapter, I put the one I am editing on on thunderbolt and backup and/or archive to USB. I also cut quick stuff on my laptop on WD Passport Ultras, on USB 3.

• @maxdvz: I look at
    http://www.amazon.com/BUFFALO-MiniStation-Thunderbolt-Portable-Drive/dp/B008D4X9UI
    also
    http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus/en_US/DisplayProductDetailsPage/ThemeID.21986300/categoryID.67791900/subCategory.67793300/parid.13092300/catid.55288100/My_Passport_Pro

Read reviews and I was not impress with both brand. G drive and Lacie are still expensive. Had you used thunderbolt hdd or enclosure, please give your thought if it's worth it to spent extra cash?

• I use the 4TB WD Passport Pro with Thunderbolt. It's great for a very fast, spacious, bus-powered drive. Real-world R/W is around 190/190. It probably wouldn't be any faster or slower over USB 3, but it may not be able to be bus-powered if it were USB 3. Not sure on the exact power specs, but I believe Thunderbolt provides more bus power.

Overall, USB 3 is probably better for most people. I had a specific need for a large, fast, bus-powered drive, and that's why I went with the WD Passport Pro.

• Usually USB 2.5" drives are cheaper and much more variants to select.

• Unless you're using an external SSD or large RAID setup, there will be no speed difference with a hard drive plugged into Thunderbolt vs USB 3. Data transfer rates tend not to go much about 125MB/s (1 gigabit/second) which is well below USB 3 at 5Gb/s - and that's in ideal circumstances (pure sequential transfer). If your pattern is at all random, you're not going to come anywhere near even that. A decent modern SSD, on the other hand, can easily max out 5Gb/s speeds pretty easily. Thunderbolt would be faster for that, but really, unless you're spending a lot of time waiting for huge files/directories to copy, it's not going to be worth the price difference.