Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
HTC RE Vive VR headset
  • 2 Replies sorted by
  • I spent the evening with a friend who had just installed his HTC Vive, including 2 controllers, 2 laser trackers and a powerful PC with an overclocked nVidia GTX 970 card.

The motion tracking of the head and the 2 controllers works impressively quick and precise, without any delay felt. Also the idea to display "artificial border grids" when you approach the room limits works quite well.

The picture looked better than that of the Oculus DK2, but the pixel pattern is still visible, as are the "ring" artifacts caused by the Fresnel lenses. I didn't like how the image looked blurred outside of the center. And even though the Vive is less a burden to carry than the Oculus DK2, it's still true that after 20 minutes or so one really wants to get a pause of it, if only because of the heat and pressure to the face.

We tried a lot of demos and small games, none of them caused any nausea, they all avoided moving or turning the "camera", which of course renders a lot of classic game concepts impractical.

The "Tilt Brush" VR painting tool was surprisingly funny. The Photogrammetry images were impressive, but well, they are static, after all.

I think we'll see VR headsets used as a sales tool for demonstrating things you cannot easily show for real, and we'll see VR headsets used as tools for 3d-modelling to some extend.

With regards to games, I'm still sceptical. For casual gamers, such VR headsets are way to cumbersome to setup and drive with decent graphics. And hard core gamers usually spend way more hours in a game than you'll want to keep such a headset on.

If it becomes technically possible to quadruple the resolution while cutting all cords, chances will rise to establish VR headsets as an often used environment for gaming or watching videos.

• Used one (we got it for FREE!) myself last week! :-D Good fun! But yes, had it hooked up to a very grunty PC.

13087553_10153798338687909_400696293801497059_n.jpg
    960 x 540 - 53K