Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Death By Audio
  • This is a profile of a boutique guitar effects pedal company in Brooklyn. The interviewee is founder Oliver Ackermann, who is the front man of shoegaze noise band A Place To Bury Strangers.

I shot it on a GH4 with some lumix lenses. I was happy with the coverage I got. However grading remains a challenge for me (not aided by my lacking a proper monitor. The part I'm least happy with is when Ackermann is seated in front of the camera while it's on a tripod. I only used the available light, and he looks kind of ghoulish here. He had overhead fluorescent lights coming in from the left, and through the window was the sunlight that was reflecting off of a bright red building, making his face half greenish and half reddish.

Comments are appreciated!

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • Looks great - interesting profile. GH4 was great choice for camera on this project.

• Thanks @matt_gh2. I really like the detail I get from the GH4. I shot it in 4k and I was able to enlarge for some closeups of the soldering which was nice was well.

Also I should mention that I key interview setup shot is not only weirdly lit by green and red sources -- it's also slightly out of focus! So I sharpened the shot in a power window around his head and blurred it outside, and no one has yet noticed (though you'll notice it now that I mentioned it no doubt).